Some quick OpenGL help

Started by
2 comments, last by LackOfKnack 24 years ago
How would one go about putting a light source in a sphere, but have it shine outside of it like the Sun? I used GLU for the sphere. Thanks.
Lack
Christianity, Creation, metric, Dvorak, and BeOS for all!
Lack
Advertisement
Hi Lack,

I think the way to do it is to push the lighting attribute bit, disable lighting, draw your sun, then re-enable lighting for the rest of the scene (sorry, my brain''s gone all rusty ).

The code may look similar to this:
glPushMatrix()  //save matrix state, in case you have a viewing transformationglPushAttrib(GL_LIGHTING_BIT)glDisable(GL_LIGHTING)//perform transforms for positioning sun...gluSolidSphere(...) //whatever it is to draw sphereglEnable(GL_LIGHTING)  //restore lighting for rest of scene//probably a call to pop attribute here (can''t remember)glPopAttrib()glPopMatrix()   //restore matrix state 

Sorry if this a little vague, but I think that''s the general approach. If it doesn''t work... um... give up?

thankyoubye

-------------
squirrels are a remarkable source of protein...
No, don''t do it like that... do it like this

float bright[4]={1,1,1,1}

glPushAttrib(GL_LIGHTING_BIT);
glMaterialfv(GL_FRONT_AND_BACK, GL_AMBIENT, bright);
//draw your sun thing here
glPopAttrib();

I''m using the same technique in my breakout-style game to make the powerups stand out from the rest of the blocks.

http://www.geocities.com/ben32768

____________________________________________________________www.elf-stone.com | Automated GL Extension Loading: GLee 5.00 for Win32 and Linux

Thanks, guys. But when I put the source in the middle of the sphere so that the light''s even, it goes dark altogether. Eugh?

Lack

Lack

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement