Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Nvidia PDF Paper polycounts

This topic is 5587 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

How realistic are the figures spoken about in the article ? http://developer.nvidia.com/docs/IO/3121/ATT/CineFX- TechBrief_v02.pdf I refere to this part :- ''NVIDIA delivered performace at the awesome level of 100M polygons per second and a stunning 1G pixel operations per second'' what exactly does that mean, is that for 1 object onscreen? COuld I make a level for a game (obviously including all main character,etc with 1 million polygons? and textures? What I''m getting at is, realistically what is the NVidia card, say a geforce 3, actually capable of in a real world situation, just what is capable of running, I hear Unreal T 2003 is pretty hot and runs at about 30,000 polys per scene, a far cry from a million polys, any advice or information appreciated. Confused. S.

Most likely the figures are correct, if and only mean this in this scenario, all the polygons are on the card to start with, or they are procedually generated. To somehow pump 100 millions polys per second down the AGP port on a PC seems impossible.

YOu forget the wonderfull displacement mapping feature - object tesselation on the hardware against a (static vs. uploaded every frame) displacement map means that I can control high vertex meshes with the push of a relatively low number of polygons - as long as I am comfortable with not having all the details in memory for exact collision detection which is ok for a lot of types of grames (namely: rpg''s and rts where the hit is calculated and not simulated).

Then you have things like shadows where I couls possibly reuse object vertex information - taking a lot of load out of the AGB bus.

And then you ahve 8x Agb - surely exactly for this reason.

Regards

Thomas Tomiczek
THONA Consulting Ltd.
(Microsoft MVP C#/.NET)

quote:

COuld I make a level for a game (obviously including all main character,etc with 1 million polygons?

Yes, absolutely, even more. Our game uses approx. 16 to 30 million faces per level, and it runs nice on a GF3. Just be sure to not show too many faces per frame (max. 250000) and have a good scene and memory management system. At those polycounts, it's likely that your bottleneck will be cache misses and AGP transfer bandwidth. So you'll have to deal with those. Also, be sure that your polygons on screen are very small. You can have highly detailed scenes, that's no problem. But when using those high polycounts on scenes with large faces (and not taking eg. occlusion into account), then you will hit the fillrate barrier much faster than any polygon/sec limit.

If you want to have it run smoothly, you'll have to use every available trick and nVidia proprietary extension (if you use OGL). VAR, NVFence, etc are obviously a must. You can't use standard Vertex arrays/buffers either, since the transfer over the AGP bus would totally kill performance. Your only chance is to cache them in VRAM, where access is extremely fast.

/ Yann

[edited by - Yann L on August 26, 2002 9:45:38 AM]