Win 32 API programming where to start?

Started by
6 comments, last by kanguru 21 years, 7 months ago
I feel confident with my C++ knowleage and some say API should be the next stop, but win 32 programming with API is a HUGE subject. I dont know weather I should read a 1000+ pages API bible or follow an online crash course tutorial (like theForger one) then move to MFC? If I should find a book, which one is a good one for this?
Advertisement
I read Herb Schildt''s "Windows 98 Programming" and just want to warn you, that this book should be avoided :-)
You might find some of my tutorials helpfull I combine directx with win32 API programming aimed at students who have a basic grasp of c. If its helpfull ok.

www.wlv.ac.uk/~in7116

also you might want to have a look at

www.drunkenhyena.com

regards

Stuart

Charles Petzold''s "Programming Windows" is generally considered *the* Win32 book. Plenty of detail, but still quite readable. It''ll get you off to a good start, then use online tuts, practise, MSDN/SDKs and more practise.
Winprog is a very good place to start with the basics. Programming Windows is a great book to learn about Win32 more in depth and then from there MSDN is your best friend

Most of the Win32 programming that I''ve learned came from reading the docs on MSDN.

The hackers must have gotten into the system through the hyperlink!!

Invader''s Realm
"""Charles Petzold''s "Programming Windows" is generally considered *the* Win32 book."""

Agreed, stick with Petzold''s book.
I am also interested in Win32 programming. I already know C; does Petzold''s book cover it? (And, if so, is it still worth the money to someone who knows C already?) I am looking only to learn the API.

Ken Murphy
The Petzold book exclusively uses C, but it does not teach it. So I guess this is the right book for you.

(Of course the above doesnt go for his latest book, "Programming Windows with C#")

"We should always be disposed to believe that that which appears white is really black, if the hierarchy of the Church so decides."

Ignatius Loyola, founder of the Jesuits
--AnkhSVN - A Visual Studio .NET Addin for the Subversion version control system.[Project site] [IRC channel] [Blog]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement