I ordered Jim's Book..Role-Playing Games and...

Started by
2 comments, last by burgc002 21 years, 8 months ago
I was wondering how i should read the book. Should I go through each chapter while applying the material in that chapter or should I give the book a complete read thru and then start over applying the information. I know this may sound like a silly question but I really want to get everything I can from this book. Thanks in advance, and thanks Jim for writing this book.
Advertisement
I suggest you read it through once, then go through chapter by chapter applying the material, so you''ll have a good idea about how that material relates to everything else.
Minister of Propaganda : leighstringer.com : Nobody likes the man who brings bad news - Sophocles (496 BC - 406 BC), Antigone
Make sure to download the update to the code to follow. Some versions of the book (one version, two prints, really) have a few mistakes already corrected in them, but as you are going along, you may notie some function calls are mis-labeled (only one or two were found like that). I hope you enjoy the book!

Jim Adams
home.att.net/~rpgbook
Author, Programming Role-Playing Games with DirectX
quote:Original post by burgc002
I was wondering how i should read the book. Should I go through each chapter while applying the material in that chapter or should I give the book a complete read thru and then start over applying the information. I know this may sound like a silly question but I really want to get everything I can from this book. Thanks in advance, and thanks Jim for writing this book.

Depends on your skill level. If you already know how to program games, you can just go over what you need, as if it is a reference book. For instance, there were really only 2 or 3 things I bought the book for. I read those things, then pick it up when I need an additional reference besides the SDK docs. I must say, this book is excellent for when you need just a little bit more to decipher some of those barely-documented SDK functions.

This is definately the best book out there though, you will surely enjoy it.
[Piebert Entertainment] [Ask The All-Knowing Oracle A Question]------------------------------------------------------------GDSFUBY GameDev Society For UnBanning YodaTheCodaIf you want to see yoda unbanned then put this in your sig ------------------------------------------------------------DAIAGA Dave Astle is a God Association. To join, put this in your sig!Founder and High Priest of DAIAGA[edited by - YodaTheCoda on December 10, 2003 1:57:54 PM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement