Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Books

This topic is 5586 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

1. Is "Special Effects Programming in DX8" to be recommended? And what is much more important what techniques are explained? 2. The same as in one, just replace the book title with "The Zen of Direct3D Programming". Does this book use DX 8?

quote:
1. Is "Special Effects Programming in DX8" to be recommended?[/qoute]

Depends by who. I recommend it.

[quote]And what is much more important what techniques are explained?

A lot of awesome stuff. Check out www.spin-studios.com for more information. The author just doesn''t teach you tecniques, he teaches you concepts and theory and uses a technique as an example of the concepts however you can apply them to various other stuff. For example, vertex shaders and cartoon shading. Obviously vertex shaders can do so much more but he uses the theory of vertex shaders to apply them to a technique, here cartoon shading.

quote:
2. The same as in one, just replace the book title with "The Zen of Direct3D Programming".

Depends by who but most people (me included) say it''s not worth it. Just beginners stuff if tought. Nothing special. Get Beginning DirectX Programming by Wolfgang Engal (spelled differently, idk it offhand). It''s much better. And yes, it uses DirectX8

---
My Site-My Tetris Clone w/Source
Come join us on IRC in #directxdev @ irc.afternet.org

I havent finished with the Special Effects book yet, but it is quite good so far. My only problem really has been that the DirectGraphics introduction section was practically copied from the DirectX SDK. It does go into good detail about other things though which is what i was after when i brought it. As for "The zen of D3D..." this was my second ever book, and I thought it was absolutely great! It does use DX8. It is split up into three sections, the first covering windows + GDI (as usual). The second covers setting up DX8 and using surfaces to do 2D graphics. It tells you how to make a font engine, sprite engine, a quake-like console and some other stuff too. The final section introduces you to DX8 in a more 3D way, using textures, x-files, etc. A very good book in my opinion.

Guest Anonymous Poster
My recommendation against the Zen book comes from the fact that there is lots of material in the book that, while not exactly wrong, is not at all the best approach. It''s the kind of book that can create lots of bad habits. With better books available, why bother?

I don''t know if they run on a GeForce2 although they should because all the samples ran on my Intel Celeron 810E (a lot worse than the GF2) with a little modification in case anyone was wondering that though.

---
My Site-My Tetris Clone w/Source
Come join us on IRC in #directxdev @ irc.afternet.org