Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Book suggestions

This topic is 5587 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I already have C++ Primer Plus and I want to buy some other good C++ books. After a small research over the net I found 2 books: “Accelerated C++: Practical Programming by Example” and “Essential C++”. I think that they are good books, but what is your suggestion? If you don’t like them, can you suggest me some other small books? (550 pages max please; I already have a big book) I want also to buy some other books that will help me improve my coding skills and my coding habits. I know that practice is the key, but I think books may help me. I want to be a professional programmer and maybe a game programmer. I currently study mathematics in Greece and maybe I do some postgraduate studies in Computer Science. Anyway after a small research over the net I found that Software Engineering books are really useful. “Code Complete: A Practical Handbook of Software Construction” and “Rapid Development: Taming Wild Software Schedules” are some books that I have in mind, but I really don’t have a clue about them. My local bookstore doesn’t have so many books so I need your option. I want to say that I know qbasic, visual basic and I have one year C/C++ experience. So can you suggest me some books or I should increase my C/C++ experience first? I probable buy one book, so tell me few books and suggest me witch is the best for me. Thanks.

I haven''t read Code Complete fully yet, but it seems like an excellent book - and as the title suggests, it''s more software construction than software engineering. In terms of C++, you probably know enough by now that the best way to learn more would be by hands-on experience - write some apps/games.