Optimizing a 3D OpenGL Terrain Engine

Started by
1 comment, last by Bucket_Head 24 years ago
Hey all. I am making a 3D Terrain engine in OpenGL, and so far it''s looking pretty good. Right now my major concerns are that of optimization, of being able to show a lot of the map while still keeping poly counts at a reasonable level. I tried just showing ALL the polys at one time (heheh) but that was WAYYY too slow! Then I just made it where it draws all the polys within an x/y area from the camera, and that runs fast, but the wider I make the range, the slower it will get. A few questions - I have heard something about implementing some sort of Level of Detail modeling for this, rendering the farther away stuff at less detail. How would one go about implementing this? Also, it may go faster if I don''t even consider any polys behind the camera - how would I determine if a group of polys shouldn''t be considered? Would such a thing even be worth it, since the math involved may slow other things down? Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated. If you need any more information about my situation, I will post it. Thank you for your time.
- Hai, watashi no chichi no kuruma ga oishikatta desu!...or, in other words, "Yes, my dad's car was delicious!"
Advertisement
Gamasutra has just put up a really good article on the ROAM terrain algorithm that I think is very easy to understand. You may want to check that out.

BTW You can find Gamasutra here just in case you don''t know:
http://www.gamasutra.com/
---Ranok---
>> I have heard something about implementing some sort of Level of Detail modeling for this, rendering the farther away stuff at less detail. How would one go about implementing this? <<

The simplest terms to think of things is this: depending on the distance from the camera, nearby polygons can be merged to reduce polycount but maintain a similar appearance. This can result in cracks between polygons or "drastic popping" in the terrain, but there are solutions.

>> Also, it may go faster if I don't even consider any polys behind the camera - how would I determine if a group of polys shouldn't be considered? Would such a thing even be worth it, since the math involved may slow other things down? <<

You're heading in the direction of frustum culling. The fustum is essentially anything that the current camera can see...sort of like the range of sight (what you can see side-to-side and top-to-bottom).

There are also a large number of ways to cull/clip polygons...backface culling, guardband clipping, etc. look around. Check out www.tulrich.com for the author of a recent GDMag article on quadtree terrains. The article comes with source to play with, which should be of help.

Edited by - Revolver on 4/4/00 11:23:36 PM
Creativity is a bloody nuisance and an evil curse that will see to it that you die from stress and alcohol abuse at a very early age, that you piss off all your friends, break appointments, show up late, and have this strange bohemian urge (you know that decadent laid-back pimp-style way of life). The truly creative people I know all live lousy lives, never have time to see you, don't take care of themselves properly, have weird tastes in women and behave badly. They don't wash and they eat disgusting stuff, they are mentally unstable and are absolutely brilliant. (k10k)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement