Dynamic Pointer arrays

Started by
1 comment, last by CRM 21 years, 7 months ago
Hello, I have been programming, `C'', as a hobby for several years now and I have recently started an isometric-tile-based war game. I have linked lists that contain structs(UNIT) for each combat unit on both sides, with a new root node for each team and I need what I like to call a `radar'' that is an array of pointers to UNIT structs, though it does not matter which team a UNIT is on, just if a UNIT is occupying any given coordinate. So, my question is that I do not work with a lot of pointers-to-pointers, but I need to dynamically allocate the `radar'' array at the beginning of each game, because the actual physical map that the game is played on can be different sizes. And, I think that this initialization is correct: UNIT **radar; A pointer to an array of pointers. Now, my problem is that I cannot quite get the syntax for the rest of the time I want to use the `radar.'' For example, I want to intialize the entire map to NULL: for( x = 0; x < size_x; x++ ) for( y = 0; y < size_y; y++ ) radar[x * size_x + size_y] = NULL; <-- Problem! How do you syntactically set up `radar'', a pointer to an array of pointers to UNITs, so I can change the value(address) of each coordinate in the map, i.e. point it to NULL for no unit, or to the address of the coord''s occupier. I would be much obliged for any help. Colin
Advertisement
hmm first try to use a ZeroMemory instead of two for loops, it is much faster.
Try *radar[...] = ...; instead of radar[...] = ...;
Look ... you forgot to allocate those pointer ...

UNIT **radar;
radar = new UINT*[size_x*size_y]; // ADDED

for( x = 0; x < size_x; x++ )
for( y = 0; y < size_y; y++ )
radar[x * size_x + size_y] = NULL; <-- Problem!

Remember to delete those afterward ...

delete[] radar;

If you already know the size of your pointer array, you better not allocate them dynamicaly ...

#define size_x 10
#define size_x 11

UINT* radar[size_x*size_y]

Anyhow it is up to you ;P

“ ZIM: But... Invader''s blood marches through my veins, like giant radioactive rubber pants! The pants command me! Do not ignore my veins! “
“ ZIM: But... Invader's blood marches through my veins, like giant radioactive rubber pants! The pants command me! Do not ignore my veins! “

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement