Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

That Hasbro nonsense just affected me...

This topic is 5587 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I just had a publisher drop a game of mine because they were worried about being sued. Im not going into details about the game or the publisher for obvious reasons, but this game must be 100 times more original (compared to the named game) than Unreal tournament is compared to quake... This kinda thing drives me mental, as its all down to the arrogance of big stupid American publishers who think that having good lawyers is more important than having good coders. I dont blame the publisher that dropped me as they are rightly worried, but i DO blame all the smart-assed whizzkid american lawyers who enjoy stifling competition this way. You Americans really need to sort out this travesty of a legal system you have over there, because far from being a country that promotes competition and entrepreneurs, you are becoming a country full of huge corporations who stamp on anyone they see as a threat. http://www.positech.co.uk

Sometimes it means learning to play the system (having the right contacts, adapting to accepted limits).

Consider yourself lucky if you prepare something without enough reference to what''s out there and it is accepted the way you want it to be.

Consider yourself as having worked very hard if you are aware of what''s out there and, being aware of that, manage to massage your product into something both you and they are happy with.

Best of luck.

I''m right now in the process of filing a patent on the process of reading words on a monitor.

Soon, my lawyer and I will be rich on the obvious. And thanks to federal judges who are too old, and have probably never even used a computer, a patent like that could go through.

I''m in litigation with God right now over who invented life. I''ll keep ya posted.

I wholeheartedly agree! It seems that either the vast majority of us Americans (and I am one, so I can say this ) either are absolute morons when it comes to devising effective (as opposed to oppressive) legal systems, or are too apathetic to do anything about it. It really could be either. Our legal system is a mess, though. Plain and simple.

People don''t need to have experienced any injustices to sue anymore, and isn''t that a big part of the words "judicial system?"
The two best reasons to sue seem to be:
1) I''m a corporate tyrant, and I don''t want anyone threatening my monopoly! Let''s gain money by legally robbing money from anyone who produces a product similar enough to compete with mine!

2) I''m one of the majority of Americans that are totally lacking in "common sense!" I can''t be expected to know the coffee might burn me if I spill it on myself unless it''s clearly labelled! Why the hell aren''t there any labels on brooms saying "swallowing this broom may prove harmful or fatal?"

Gah...

-Arek the Absolute

Guest Anonymous Poster
I agree, copyright law is a mess. Right now I''m reading a book called "Copyrights and Copywrongs: The Rise of Intellectual Property and How It Threatens Creativity" by Siva Vaidhyanathan. The author discusses 20th century developments in American copyright law and the way these laws inhibit valuable contributions to human culture.

Arek, don''t forget: 3) I didn''t know fast food would make me obese and now I''m a fat moron, so I''m filing a class action lawsuit!

I wish I was making that up...

Cliffski, is there only one publisher out there? What about a European publisher? Those hotshot lawyers are greedy - money speaks louder to them than the law (definitely louder than right and wrong). Move a lot of units in Europe and those lawyers will be diggin for loopholes to publish your game over here. They have no balm for their conscience, but money certainly soothes their pocketbooks...

Guest Anonymous Poster
not too many European publishers about these days, mostly all swallowed up by the big(mostly American) publishers.

quote:
Original post by Arek the Absolute
I can''t be expected to know the coffee might burn me if I spill it on myself unless it''s clearly labelled!
This again?

As ruled by the jury:
The woman was 20% liable for being stupid enough to spill coffee on herself.
McDonalds was 80% liable for selling coffee at ~185 degrees fahrenheit.

Understand now?

Guest Anonymous Poster
Big Stupid American Publishers?

Can u make an original game?

We have to protect our interests, even from piddly arsed
programmers like u.

Stop whining like a bitch.

quote:
Original post by Beer Hunter
[quote]Original post by Arek the Absolute
I can''t be expected to know the coffee might burn me if I spill it on myself unless it''s clearly labelled!
This again?

As ruled by the jury:

Understand now?

Sheesh! I didn''t mean it that seriously. I was just trying to quote something people would remember. I almost used the one Pyabo mentioned instead, but I figured it''s not done and over with yet, so it wasn''t right to use it. Or is it finished...? Sorry. I''ve had no life the past month or so.

-Arek the Absolute

quote:
Original post by Beer Hunter
As ruled by the jury:

Understand now?

Not really... so if I jump from a building that''s about 300 meters tall,
is it 20% my fault for being stupid enough to jump,
and 80% the building''s owners fault for building such a tall building?

But then I''m not american so I don''t need worry about it

Guest Anonymous Poster
<a href="http://www.snopes.com/legal/lawsuits.htm#coffee">aaaarrrgh!!!</a>

quote:
Original post by Anonymous Poster
not too many European publishers about these days, mostly all swallowed up by the big(mostly American) publishers.

Hey, consider yourself lucky compared to us poor Canadians whose government barely recognizes the viability of the video game industry. Even finding an affordable software lawyer proves difficult. We may not be traveling by dog sled like so many Americans believe, but sometimes I feel like we''re seperate from this planet, living in some dormant snowed-in system, 10-20 years behind.

Is it possible to ban anonymous posters just from this business board? If not, Ill be following others lead, joining the ASP and switching my posting to there instead, This board is often helpful, but I dont want to have to read junk comments from 12 year old anonymous posters.

http://www.positech.co.uk

I agree, I''ll switch too if that''s the case as I don''t want it to be my turn next and have to put up with the ramblings of some untalented idiot who can only post as an anonymous.

Oh... and get more than my daily quota of boring and very lame viruses sent to my mail server just because I wrote something here that some moron did''nt agree with perhaps !

Best regards,

Adrian Cummings (Proprietor)
Mutation Software
www.mutationsoftware.com
www.dweebs.info

Well first, if the published droped you game beacuse it was similar to another game where do find the right to get pissed off? Taking an idea from someone else and changing it just a little bit is not a good enough excuse and is illegal. Maybe you should try thinking up an "origional" idea before getting pissed off. And stop trying to blame americans for your inadiquite ability to think out of the box and come up with something of your own, instead you have to steal someone elses idea and say oh well this is mine because i added this or do this instead, because if it walks like a duck and talks like a duck its a duck!

Guest Anonymous Poster
Do none of the comments from anonymous posters in this thread have any value? I''d prefer to see moderators remove childish messages than to ban anonymous posters altogether.

(I''m the anonymous poster who recommended that copyright book. Is that worth nothing at all?)

A very valid point why dont you email the people who did Unreal Tournament and point out that they are making a duck, as they are copying quake.
Why dont you also email all the people who make cars and tell them to stop ripping off Ford, and in between writing these emails, why dont you amaze all of us by posting the screenshots of the entirely original masterpiece game I am sure you are the creator of.
By the way you might also want to insult Chris sawyer for copying Theme park, maybe Ensemble studios for ripping off command and conquer, Perhaps Iain Banks should sue the guys that made Halo, and Im pretty sure the guys who did the matrix should sue the guys who made Max payne.
And if your writing this on a PC, then you are a duck, as the whole idea of a PC interface is stolen from Apple, who stole it from Xerox.
Gee, given all these ripoff clones, Im really pretty excited about seeing your original game xDS4Lx. Is anyone else excited about it too?

quote:
Original post by cliffski
Is it possible to ban anonymous posters just from this business board? If not, Ill be following others lead, joining the ASP and switching my posting to there instead, This board is often helpful, but I dont want to have to read junk comments from 12 year old anonymous posters.

Aye, while most lamers keep out of this forum it''s not immune to them.

it''s not necesserily the legal system Cliff, if you''re talking about Hasbro, then you''re talking about the company, which co-incidentally (the interactive division) is sold to infogrames, and they''re not even an american company. As far as what happened to you it''s a shame, considering you probably didn''t use any specific copyrightable material. Whether you think it''s messed up or not, it''s still to protect people''s IP rights so that someone doesn''t deliberately copy them.

Keith

(btw there were a couple of games in the lawsuit that were
actual ripoffs, I beleive one of them was macman which looked almost exactly like pacman except it was blue instead of yellow)

the law is to protect those IP rights... So don''t blame the legal system for something a bad company did.

XGames3D fought and lost the legal battle against Hasbro, because XGames3D ran out of money. It''s a bit bogus, but that''s the way our court systems work. I''m sure you''re not stealing any ideas, it''s just that just about every basic arcade game has a copyright on it that''s owned by Hasbro, and your publisher probably saw a little connection between the two.

Hasbro is just stealing purses from old blind women... And don''t tell me there isn''t people like that were you come from.

-Fredric

This topic is 5587 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.