• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

angrytofu

What 3d engines are you using?

This topic is 5774 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

What 3d engines are peolpe using out there for thier games at the moment? I am curious since maybe there is one out there I do not know about The top 3 I have used the past couple months or looking at are 1. Truevision3d 2. OGRE 3. ODE

Advertisement
i like to write my own, but before i used to use the genesis3d engine, which is about the equivilant of quake2 technology(but free). as a matter of fact, on my site, and on one of their tutorial pages, i have a tutorial minimum-application i wrote and commented, loads a level, shows it, and allows simple movement.

www.genesis3d.com

tutorial sites for genesis3d
www.genesis3d.com/~g3dh/
www.genesis3d.com/~wog/

there''s also a new version in the works called Destiny3d
it''s not free, but it is very cheap at $40 .

www.destiny3d.com

-Nicholas Anton
-www.geocities.com/nickanton7/

Guest Anonymous Poster
I played with genesis about 1.5 years ago. But then I fond truevision3d and that was alot easier. But now I am hoping to get into .net and I am keeping a eye out for a .net 3d engine

I will have to see what destiny3d is like. I hope there is a demo version

I am probably gonna stick with truevision... I am just waiting for them to do a c++ or .net port .. I will NEVER go back to vb 6.0

I am just playing around with a 3d engine in C# for a project - currently more a prototype and something to test out Dx 9 :-)

Rocks, though - I had severe doubts of writing it in C# all the way (thinking that I might have to write parts in C++ ll the time), but I am just now giving it a try, and it is progressing very nicely right now - my terrain renderer core should be finished end of the week.

Regards

Thomas Tomiczek
THONA Consulting Ltd.
(Microsoft MVP C#/.NET)

Guest Anonymous Poster
Thona you are not allowed to discuss dx9 publicly
under the NDA agreement.

I did not discuss it - I suggest, anonymous coward, you start reading the NDA.

I was basically stating that writing code with C# rocks, and that I had doubts about the perforamnce of the C# part of the 3d engine - this is not related to DirectX 9 besides that I have native wrappers.

Basically, my doubts were not so much the Dx9 performance, but whether C# would be fat enough - i mean, managed access is one side. There I made nice experiences - basically a lot of things you do in a 3d engine map very nicely to C#, and you dont require the garbage collector too often - not a lot of garbage created.

How does this interfere with my NDA, coward?

Regards

Thomas Tomiczek
THONA Consulting Ltd.
(Microsoft MVP C#/.NET)

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!