What 3d engines are you using?

Started by
20 comments, last by angrytofu 21 years, 7 months ago
What 3d engines are peolpe using out there for thier games at the moment? I am curious since maybe there is one out there I do not know about The top 3 I have used the past couple months or looking at are 1. Truevision3d 2. OGRE 3. ODE
http://www.mattherb.com now with CATCAM!
Advertisement
i like to write my own, but before i used to use the genesis3d engine, which is about the equivilant of quake2 technology(but free). as a matter of fact, on my site, and on one of their tutorial pages, i have a tutorial minimum-application i wrote and commented, loads a level, shows it, and allows simple movement.

www.genesis3d.com

tutorial sites for genesis3d
www.genesis3d.com/~g3dh/
www.genesis3d.com/~wog/

there''s also a new version in the works called Destiny3d
it''s not free, but it is very cheap at $40 .

www.destiny3d.com

-Nicholas Anton
-www.geocities.com/nickanton7/
I played with genesis about 1.5 years ago. But then I fond truevision3d and that was alot easier. But now I am hoping to get into .net and I am keeping a eye out for a .net 3d engine

I will have to see what destiny3d is like. I hope there is a demo version
@ Angrytofu, get back to the truvision forums ya rat, it''s about as good as it gets.

Dreddnafious Maelstrom

"If i saw farther, it was because I stood on the shoulders of giants."

Sir Isaac Newton
"Let Us Now Try Liberty"-- Frederick Bastiat
Crystal Space

-------
Andrew
The xGameProject engine

www.xgameproject.com

Looking for a serious game project?
www.xgameproject.com

[edited by - Max_Payne on August 26, 2002 11:07:26 PM]

Looking for a serious game project?
www.xgameproject.com
I am probably gonna stick with truevision... I am just waiting for them to do a c++ or .net port .. I will NEVER go back to vb 6.0

http://www.mattherb.com now with CATCAM!
I am just playing around with a 3d engine in C# for a project - currently more a prototype and something to test out Dx 9 :-)

Rocks, though - I had severe doubts of writing it in C# all the way (thinking that I might have to write parts in C++ ll the time), but I am just now giving it a try, and it is progressing very nicely right now - my terrain renderer core should be finished end of the week.

Regards

Thomas Tomiczek
THONA Consulting Ltd.
(Microsoft MVP C#/.NET)
RegardsThomas TomiczekTHONA Consulting Ltd.(Microsoft MVP C#/.NET)
Thona you are not allowed to discuss dx9 publicly
under the NDA agreement.
I did not discuss it - I suggest, anonymous coward, you start reading the NDA.

I was basically stating that writing code with C# rocks, and that I had doubts about the perforamnce of the C# part of the 3d engine - this is not related to DirectX 9 besides that I have native wrappers.

Basically, my doubts were not so much the Dx9 performance, but whether C# would be fat enough - i mean, managed access is one side. There I made nice experiences - basically a lot of things you do in a 3d engine map very nicely to C#, and you dont require the garbage collector too often - not a lot of garbage created.

How does this interfere with my NDA, coward?

Regards

Thomas Tomiczek
THONA Consulting Ltd.
(Microsoft MVP C#/.NET)
RegardsThomas TomiczekTHONA Consulting Ltd.(Microsoft MVP C#/.NET)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement