Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Linking top-view 2D rooms

This topic is 5586 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I''m working on a top-view 2D game engine, similar to Zelda or what have you. The game is based on arbitrary-sized rectangular rooms, and currently I''ve only implemented one. However, I''d like to link the rooms so that you can walk off one and into another - nothing groundbreaking, but unlike Zelda the rooms aren''t all the same size, so I''m wondering how to best handle this. I want to create the illusion of a continuous world that just happens to be broken up by the room boundaries, but I can''t think of a way to do this without being really confusing in the code and/or level editor. As always, thanks in advance and let me know if you need more information.

Keep a list of rectangular regions, each of which points to another room (or to some specific point in a room).

Alternatively, have a way of flagging tiles (if you use tiles) as ''exit'', pointing to some other room.

Once the character steps inside the region, just move it to the room pointed to.