Linked List & Reference and/or Point :: STL

Started by
4 comments, last by kuphryn 21 years, 8 months ago
Hi. I would like to is it possible to pass a reference and/or a pointer of an element in a linked list as function parameter? For example:

std::list intList;

for (int i = 0; i < 5; ++i)
intList.push_back(i);

std::list::iterator iNumList = intList.begin();

// Traverse to element #4
for (int j = 0; j < 3; ++j
++iNumList;

// Now I want to pass element #4 (interger 4) to a function.
// Is it possible to point a reference or pointer to iNumList?

myFunction(iNumList);

void myFunction(int *pNumber)
{
*pNumber = 0;
}

Thanks, Kuphryn
Advertisement
either :

void func(int* val) {    *val = 10;}std::list< int >::iterator it = someList.begin();while(it != someList.end()){    func( *it );    ++it;}  

or

void func(std::list<int>::iterator &val) {    *val = 10;}std::list< int >::iterator it = someList.begin();while(it != someList.end()){    func( it );    ++it;}[/souce]  
Nice! Thanks.

Is there an advantage to using one solution over the other?

Kuphryn
If you pass the iterator, you can remove the item it points to from the list. AFAIK, there is no way to do this if you pass a pointer (unless you find the element).

Cédric
quote:Original post by kuphryn
Nice! Thanks.

Is there an advantage to using one solution over the other?

Kuphryn

not really, in fact it''s actually quite bad to do that because there are already fun funky things in stl sontainers that simplify the process and are somewhat more optimised, for example:

// need this for std::for_each#include <algorithm>#include <list>void func(int &val) {          val = 10;}std::list< int >::iterator start = someList.begin();std::list< int >::iterator end   = someList.end();std::for_each(start, end, func );  

have a look at

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/vclang98/html/sample_for_each_(STL_Sample).asp

for a variety of other similar algorithmic constructs.....

Rob
Okay. Thanks.

C++ STL has so many powerful tools!

Kuphryn

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement