Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PeekMessage

This topic is 5589 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Ok, First I know how to use Win32 but ive never done a message loop using PeekMessage. I just started learning some GL and just changed my message loop to use peek message now instead it looks like this:

BOOL bRet = FALSE;
while(!bRet)
{	::PeekMessage(&msg, hWnd, NULL, NULL, PM_REMOVE);
	if(msg.message == WM_QUIT)
	{	bRet = TRUE;			
	}
	else
	{	glWin.Render();
		TranslateMessage(&msg);
		DispatchMessage(&msg);		
	}
}

The problem is that when I exit the program the applications process is still active. This happens no matter what I have tried, I know that with GetMessage this happens if you use a HWND for the window handle instead of null, so I tried that and the problem still ocurs. If needed I can post more code. Thanx in advance [edited by - xds4lx on August 26, 2002 10:29:24 PM]

Actually I just found out what the problem was. It occured if i trped the WM_DESTROY message. So I just changed my WM_CLOSE handler to this:

case WM_CLOSE:
{ if(MessageBox(NULL,"Sure you want to exit?","Close?",MB_YESNO) == IDYES)
{ PostQuitMessage(0);
}
return(0);
}

case WM_CLOSE:
{ if(::MessageBox(NULL,"Sure you want to Quit?","Close?", MB_YESNO) == IDYES)
{ ::DestroyWindow(hWnd);
}
return(0);

}
case WM_DESTROY:
{ PostQuitMessage(0);
return(0);
}

Im just wondering if anyone knows why the origional way I was handling shut down didnt work? It works for all other windows applications ive done (non 3D related)

WM_CLOSE default action is to call DestroyWindow(), and WM_DESTROY is sent when window is being destroyed.

"The PostQuitMessage function indicates to Windows that a thread has made a request to terminate (quit). It is typically used in response to a WM_DESTROY message." - MSDN

I guess is your OpenGL thingie (your glWin?) that gives you this problem.

You answered the wrong question there man. I want to know why the propper code fails (calling DestroyWindow from a WM_CLOSE message and PostQuitMessage from a WM_DESTROY message) and calling PostQuitMessage works when calling it from the WM_CLOSE.

EDIT: I can post all the code if that would help.

[edited by - xds4lx on August 28, 2002 11:30:58 PM]

I was also quite surprise that your orginal code didn''t work. I followed MSDN ways and so far no problem, even with Directxxxxxx (oh ok, no yet try OpenGL).
That''s why I suspect something is wrong... in other places.

Theres is nothing wrong anywhere else in the program. Ive been doing Win32 for a few years, but this is my first dive into the world of 3D graphics. Everything was fine untill I had changed the message loop from using GetMessage to PeekMessage. I know everything is fine with the Win32 wrapper because it is one that I have used in lots of other Win32 applications. Could it possibly be the window styles used? Maybe I should use WM_PARENTNOTIFY?

Actually, unless you didn't post all your code, there is something wrong. Here we go:
What most Win32 programs should do is what xDS4Lx had originally: on WM_CLOSE, do any processing for saving and such, then call DestroyWindow(). When DestroyWindow() is called, the window is destroyed, then a WM_DESTROY message is sent to the WindowProc for the window that was destroyed (or maybe the message is sent first; I'm not completely certain). When WM_DESTROY is received, then any last-minute processing such as freeing variables can be done, and lastly PostQuitMessage(0) should be called. The PeekMessage() loop, upon detecting that message (the Quit message), exits -- and then what? The program will continue to run until the main function, inside which the PeekMessage() loop resides, returns a value (usually msg.wParam, which is 0 if there were no errors). So, unless you already have this, put a line in your program at the end of your WinMain() function saying:
return msg.wParam;
and go back to the original WindowProc layout.

Twilight Dragon
Win32 API Programmer
www.freewebz.com/j-world

[edited by - TDragon on August 29, 2002 4:41:54 PM]

PeekMessage( NULL, 0, 0, PM_REMOVE );

The replacement of a specific window handle with NULL allows PeekMessage to check all message queues associated with the application thread. WM_QUIT is not sent to the application, so this alteration is necessary to process the message in this fashion.

Um I already know what im doing in win32 TDragon. Im not some stupid newbie to win32. I already was returning msg.wParam! Also I didnt post all my code b/c im not going to blow up one post to this thread with a $hit ton of code. And Oluseyi I tried using NULL instead of the windows HWND and the problem still occurs.

[edited by - xds4lx on August 29, 2002 5:16:06 PM]

quote:
Original post by xDS4Lx
Um I already know what im doing in win32 TDragon. Im not some stupid newbie to win32. I already was returning msg.wParam! Also I didnt post all my code b/c im not going to blow up one post to this thread with a $hit ton of code. And Oluseyi I tried using NULL instead of the windows HWND and the problem still occurs.

Yep, I agreed not to bloat the forum with codes.

Maybe some handle isn''t being released yet, eg. other Thread?? ...some 3D function lock-up your handles? Or something wierd is in the msg loop.

... I suggest try using PeekMessage() just to peek on the msg queue, and GetMessage to really get the msg... just see if it still the same??

BOOL res; // BOOL???
for ( ; ; )
{
if (PeekMessage(...PM_NOREMOVE))
{
res = GetMessage(...);
if (res == -1)
throw "Some error";
else if (res == WM_QUIT)
break;
else
{
... do something here
}
}

Well wouldnt that defeat the purpose of using PeekMessage? Anyways I came up with a solution after looking at the OONeHe code on his page where it is actually called after the message loop, so I put it into my class''s destructor and all works great! Thanx for the help.

quote:
Original post by xDS4Lx
Well wouldnt that defeat the purpose of using PeekMessage? Anyways I came up with a solution after looking at the OONeHe code on his page where it is actually called after the message loop, so I put it into my class''s destructor and all works great! Thanx for the help.

What did you add?? Just want to know.

I at least now know why NULL was put in PeekMessage in the NeHe tutorial as compared to hwnd in the OpenGL Game Programming code I was looking at.
I even just posted a message that had the disparity as my question. This clears that up for me.
See, even if you do know, at least someone learned. B-)