Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

annoying-"beep"-with-directInput-&-keyboard-problem

This topic is 5585 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm setting up DirectInput and getting it to work fine with the keyboard, but when I did some testing and held all arrow keys, an very annoying pc-speaker beep sounds!! - Just like when the keyboard buffer is full and you feed it yet keyboard event. How can I avoid this? I suspect it's easy to solve, but I have not found a solution although browsing the net, and the dx documentation. -----edit: I did the same test, holding the four steering keys pressed for a while, on a commercial game just now (medal of honour allied assault) and it reacts with a beep too. Is this just something with my system/keyboard? Or can it not be avoided? [edited by - brewski on August 26, 2002 10:59:31 PM]

Hi there,

Im not certain about this, but I think some keyboards have this problem. If you have the chance try it with another keyboard.

I had to switch keyboards because my old one used to do that when I played games such as Unreal Tournament.

I have just seen your edit, I would say try your code on another computer or try another keyboard.

All the best,

- Genaside.

Yes - this problem could be due to the keyboard you are using or, more specifically, the microprocessor the keyboard is using. This beep-ing is common on a lot of older keyboards although I *believe* the majority of keyboards produced today do not suffer from this problem. I have two keyboards linked to a couple of my home dev machines and they both have this very problem - and both keyboards are about 8 years old...

Regards,
Sharky

Hi! Thanks!

Yes I use the keyboard from my old p200 on my new pc, I had completely forgotten how old it is!
So maybe I don't have bother with problem, I'll just test it on a newer keyboard see if it works better, probably does.

For cooperative level DISCL_BACKGROUND | DISCL_NONEXCLUSIVE.

[edited by - brewski on August 27, 2002 7:08:21 PM]

Mine is 3 years old and it beeps with only three keys (right, up, left). I think it does that when the keyboard detects a gridlock, instead of sending a ghost key, it just sends a beep.

I paid this one around 10$ so I never expected it to be good