Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Simple Turn Based Combat Game - Opinions Needed

This topic is 5579 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi guys, As a nice distraction from our normal job, me and a friend are working on a little mini-game. Our goal is to finish it within 1 week of our start date so simplicity is the key. We''ve decided to do a turn based combat game, kind of like chess with extras. Currently we''re thinking of an 8x8 board. The game would be played by 2 players. The game would be successfuly won by "killing" the opponents king and keeping him "dead" for at least 3 turns. Currently we''re thinking of having the following pieces: king - can move 2 squares in any direction and has no abilities queen - can move 2 squares in any direction and can "resurect" the king. knight - can move one square north, south, e or w. Can deal 1 damage using his sword to the square directly in front of him. Archer - Can move one square in any direction. Can deal 1 damage upto 3 squares away. Can only deal damage on squares running NW, NE, SW, SE. Shield Bearer - Moves one square in any direction, absorbs damage from the square directly in front without dying. So on any given turn each player would move a piece and then decide which way he/she wanted it to face. Actually this is harder to descibe than I thought it would be. We already have a pretty clear idea what we''re doing, but I thought I''d post it anyway and see if anyone else was interested in throwing some suggestions in. We''d like to tweak it so a game takes less than 30 mins but there''s a lot of variety and strategy. Does anyone think something like this would be fun?

Guest Anonymous Poster
sounds like some strange variations on chess.

this sounds like a pretty fun game - multiplayer options would be great.

i like the idea of being able to ressurect the king. so it would be a plus to get rid of or trap the queen early on.

would you be able to take the ''pawns'' - either archers or shield bearers'' to the opposite side and change them (as in chess and checkers - you can make them queens, etc)

just a thought- the game sounds like it would be interesting!

-geo-

How bout an assasian that can instanly kill the king (but not kill anything else) that moves like the kinght in chess (L shaped move)?

Kars

Guest Anonymous Poster
you might look for the rules to STRATEGO - there are players 1-9 (i think) where 1 is the general down to 7, the private
8 is the miner
and 9 is the spy
ex: 6''s can kill anything =>6
if a 6 fights a 6, both die
miners can kill miners, spys, defuse bombs
spys can ONLY kill other miners AND the general
the general can kill anyone except the spy.

just an idea

-geo-

quote:
Original post by Anonymous Poster
you might look for the rules to STRATEGO - there are players 1-9 (i think) where 1 is the general down to 7, the private
8 is the miner
and 9 is the spy
ex: 6''s can kill anything =>6
if a 6 fights a 6, both die
miners can kill miners, spys, defuse bombs
spys can ONLY kill other miners AND the general
the general can kill anyone except the spy.

just an idea

-geo-

Just to correct... I believe you meant to say that spies can only kill other spies and the general. And I believe the general can kill a spy if it attacks first, although it''s been a long time so I may be wrong here. Either way, Stratego is a good example of simple rules that lead to a lot of complex behaviour.

[ MSVC Fixes | STL | SDL | Game AI | Sockets | C++ Faq Lite | Boost | Asking Questions | Organising code files | My stuff ]

I think this game sounds simple and fun... my favorite type of game.

A mage piece might be interesting... some suggestions for their function:

1. A mage can deal 1 damage to any sqaure two spaces from it. A group of mages (adjacent to one and other) will increase the amount of damage. 2 mages together cause 2 damge, 3 3, etc.

2. Moves by teleportation... can move to any sqaure n,s,e, or w of it, with the ability to move through other pieces. This might be too powerfull, so limit the number of spaces to 4 or something. (This also might be an interesting feature for the archer piece... a kind of backstab)

3. Perhaps an area effect damage... damage 1 point in a 4x4 area... or any two sqaures... ect.

I don''t mean for the mage to have all of these abilities, but these were some examples I could come up with.

- Jason