Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mac Game programming.

This topic is 5582 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Guest Anonymous Poster
quote:
Original post by Anonymous Poster
why would we want to program for macs?

Why wouldn''t we ?

Guest Anonymous Poster
quote:
[quote]Original post by Anonymous Poster
why would we want to program for macs?

Why wouldn''t we ?

Because mac users don''t have the mental capacity to handle using both a keyboard and mouse at the same time for FPS style games.

Guest Anonymous Poster
quote:
[Because mac users don''t have the mental capacity to handle using both a keyboard and mouse at the same time for FPS style games.

On the contrary, many Mac users can handle using the mouse and the keyboard at the same time, but thats only because their mouse only has one OVERSIZED button for them to worry about pushing.

Jeez, you people are really fucking biased. Macintoshes are great computers. They run much smoother than any Windows that I''ve used. MacOS X is also much more appealing than Windows 3.1-XP. Their processors are RISC processors, as opposed to a CISC processor that most x86 processors are. The professional field for software development on Macintoshes has boomed over the past year since the release of OS X. Many people have and will be switching. Myself included. I''d rather have something that works than something that doesn''t.

The thing about mac programming is that there isn''t alot of info about it(unless you''re talking about HyperCard or Basic ). All I can say is I only wish I had found that site when I still had a mac .

------------------------------
BASIC programmers don''t die, they just GOSUB and don''t return.

I turned on two Macs, worked on one for a while, and switched to the other. I found that it was frozen... restarted it, and went back to the other. Upon arival i found that this mac too had crashed in the short absence of my presence. I conclude from this that why bother with any of 'em use linux

[edited by - GaMe wIg on August 27, 2002 11:35:30 PM]

Guest Anonymous Poster
I have used both macs and pcs and pcs are easier to use and macs have froze up several times on me.

You guys with problems obviously are not running OS X. The cool thing about Mac games is since there are almost none, every single Mac user buys them. Mac games are a great market.

5% market share X 10% of computers in homes = 50% Macs in homes. That''s a great market for games.

Guest Anonymous Poster
quote:
Original post by smanches
5% market share X 10% of computers in homes = 50% Macs in homes. That''s a great market for games.

LOL...nice try. 5% x 10% = .05 * .10 = .005 or 0.5%

Guest Anonymous Poster
Mac OS''s prior to MacOS X are plenty easy to crash, there''s no glory in it .

About PC''s being easier: that doesn''t make any sense. You could say ''Windows such-and-such'' is easier. I don''t think that''s necessarily true though. Whatever you''ve grown used to is easier.

This is coming from a *nix user who only owns one Mac, which I''ve had for about two weeks, and it''s a Performa 6115CD (it''s an old one, I just have it to mess around with when I get the time ).
quote:

Actually, 5% * 10% is 0.5%.

hey, my first mac was a performa 6115CD! But I still hate macs, and yes I have used and repeatedly crashed OSX. Despite its UNIX core, it is still apple. Sorry to those who disagree, but I just cant stand them, even the one on my desk sitting next to the pc I am using right now.

This is almost as bad as a c vs. c++ thread.

Both have their advantages, and disadvantages.

Yes Macs do crash, but then again ever used windows? hello, crash city. linux is nice if you know how to use it... if you don''t it''s real easy to crash.

So it depends upon what you want from your machine.

quote:
Damn! I'm not sure what I was thinking there.

I think I was trying to say 10% / 5% = 50%. Right?

Uh, no. 0.10 / 0.05 = 0.10 * 20 = 2 = 200%

You need some sleep

Cédric

EDIT: Oh, uh, I had not read the whole discussion when I posted; just your last post. Is this one of those "Duh, I was sarcastic" thing? I hope so

[edited by - cedricl on August 29, 2002 7:40:28 PM]

Guest Anonymous Poster
quote:

Go back to basic arimetic. Do not pass go, do not collect $200...

Bah, the flames actually help the topic. "A two page long Mac Game Programming thread??? Whoa, better check it out before I get out of touch!"

Any kind of advertising is good advertising.

This topic is 5582 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.