HTML Problem

Started by
2 comments, last by GEo 24 years ago
Embarrassed to admit this, but it''s really causing hastle now I''m doing a really simple home page (in Notepad) , it has a little menu bar down the left side, and a title bar along the top. The Bar along the top has to line up perfectly with the left bar, otherwise it looks lame. Now, I''ve set the MARGINWIDTH & MARGINHEIGHT properties of my frames to zero, and this works fine in Internet Explorer. Netscape, however, insists on putting a one pixel border of background colour around the contents of my frames, so they don''t line up. Does anyone know how to get rid of this? BTW: I don''t know if this qualifies for the programming forum George. "Who says computer games affect kids, imagine if PacMan affected us as kids, we'd all sit around in a darkened room munching pills and listening to repetitive music....uh oh!"
George. F"Who says computer games affect kids, imagine if PacMan affected us as kids, we'd all sit around in a darkened room munching pills and listening to repetitive music....uh oh!"
Advertisement
I hope that you do know that IE an Netscape doesn''t always show the exact same layout for the same page (personally I blame Netscape for this). Some tags and tag attributes are supported in IE but not in NS and the other way around. Sometimes Netscape shows things twisted too.

You might try to put frameborder="NO" in the frame tag, according to Dreamweaver 3, Both IE4+ and NS supports this.

Otherwise, if you want to, you can send me the HTML files to netz@home.se (Winzip attachment, no pictures) and I''ll have a look at it. (I work with webdesign professionally at the moment)

============================
Daniel Netz, Sentinel Design
"I'm not stupid, I'm from Sweden" - Unknown
============================Daniel Netz, Sentinel Design"I'm not stupid, I'm from Sweden" - Unknown
I think George means the MARGINWIDTH/HEIGHT in the body tag?

If you are, then you need to use the ones for Netscape as well:

<BODY MARGINWIDTH=0 MARGINHEIGHT=0 LEFTMARGIN=0 TOPMARGIN=0>

That should work, if not let me know and I'll look it up, Im going from memory and not quite sure

If you are having problems making seamless frames, try something like the following for your FRAMESET tag.

<FRAMESET ROWS="100,*" FRAMESPACING=0 FRAMEBORDER=0 BORDER=0>

That should make your page IE and Netscape workable. Its not too hard to get a page to look good in both browsers, it just takes a little practice and research.

Daniel Major

Edited by - MajorD on 4/5/00 12:30:51 PM
[Approaching Nervous Breakdown!]

I''ve tried everything you''ve suggested, and it still doesn''t work.

Spiff: I''ll mail you the site on Monday, since I don''t have it zipped in college just now (you can have the images as well, they''re very small, and it''ll make it easier to understand the problem)

Once the site is complete, I might put it up anyway, this will probably also be on Monday now.

George.

"Who says computer games affect kids, imagine if PacMan affected us as kids, we'd all sit around in a darkened room munching pills and listening to repetitive music....uh oh!"

George. F"Who says computer games affect kids, imagine if PacMan affected us as kids, we'd all sit around in a darkened room munching pills and listening to repetitive music....uh oh!"

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement