Windows GUI and windows in DelphiX

Started by
3 comments, last by jan stuchlik 21 years, 7 months ago
Hello, can anybody explain me if it is correct to use standard windows (or Delphi Forms) and controls (or Delphi controls) with DelphiX ? What about more Delphi Forms with more TDXDraws ? Generally, what is relation between DirectDraw and Forms and WindowGUI ? My opinion - about user Delphi components - it is usually using Canvas, so who will call Canvas.Release as needed by Delphix ? - about windows and windows controls - usually rendered by "kernel", i have no idea, if this works on DDsurface, what about mouse cursor rendered by me but above window caption - about forms - also no idea, i am suprised by visible window caption and frame in fullscreen mode and making it invisible by setting borderStyle to bsNone thank you for your expiriences and advices, Jan
Advertisement
All controls that have a window handle will also appear on a form that has a TDXDraw on it.
So all windows controls will be visible while other controls won''t.

It is however somewhat unusual to use windows controls together with DirectX. It is usually either done with a graphical user interface (i.e. draw your buttons with DelphiX) or by keeping UI and DirectX-stuff separate (eg. when you start your program, a dialog will appear, as soon as you hit the "play" button, the dialog disappears and a DirectX window opens).
The graphical-UI is more elegant and will leave you with more options when it comes so the visual design of your UI. However, you will have to deal with mouse coordinates and stuff like that which can really be a pain in the ass.
Basically don''t mix the two. You are better off making a few objects like buttons and an edit box and use them in your programs that require delphix.

R
Oh, and yes: you can have more than one DXDraw open at the same time (on the same or in different windows). However, you shouldn''t forget that the two (or no matter how many) DXDraws all share the same system and video memory.

In fullscreen mode (also known as exclusive mode), only one DXDraw can be active at the same time (hence the name).
Ok, thanx.
I am trying to use DXGui from turbo''s page, but there are some errors and/or unexplained features. Also there is no way to edit text, create listboxes, file dialogs, etc.
Many years ago I wrote my own gui for DOS so I know that this is not simple to create such components, and I am looking for better way.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement