Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

broken code in VC++7

This topic is 5585 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm tryin to change over to VC++7, but I'm running into problem compiling what would normally compile fine in VC++6. example:
XML_Parse(const char *s, int len);

parse(const std::vector<char> &buffer)
{
  XML_Parse(buffer.begin(),buffer.size())
}

error output:
   e:\projects\UI\xml.cpp(358): error C2664: 'XML_Parse' : cannot                  
   convert parameter 1 from 'std::vector<_Ty,_Ax>::const_iterator'   
   to 'const char *'
        with
        [
            _Ty=char,
            _Ax=std::allocator<char>
        ]

- also -
std::vector<char> buf;
FILE *file = fopen( fileName.c_str(),"rb" );
fread( buf.begin(),fileSize,1,file );

gets this error:

e:\projects\UI\xml.cpp(386): error C2664: 'fread' : cannot 
   convert parameter 1 from 'std::vector<_Ty,_Ax>::iterator' to 
   'void *'
        with
        [
            _Ty=char,
            _Ax=std::allocator<char>
        ]

how does this make any sense? How do I fix it? thanks. EDIT by ze: Fixed your template ><'s just 'cause I got bored... [edited by - zealouselixir on August 27, 2002 10:26:45 PM]

Iterators are not guaranteed to be pointers, and vector''s elements are not guaranteed to be stored contiguously. You might be able to get away with it, though. Just use &buffer [0] instead of buffer.begin (). And...uh...you didn''t hear it from me, OK?

vectors not contigous ??
i thought vectors had to be contigous ?? Oh oh , my old code in vc6 will surely break like this. damn you microsoft.. damn you..!!!!!

Its my duty, to please that booty ! - John Shaft

The Standard doesn''t explicitely state that vectors use contiguous storage, but this is supposed to be fixed in the next publication.

However, in practice, they are, and &buffer[0] gives you a C-compatible pointer to the first element.

Documents [ GDNet | MSDN | STL | OpenGL | Formats | RTFM | Asking Smart Questions ]
C++ Stuff [ MinGW | Loki | SDL | Boost. | STLport | FLTK | ACCU Recommended Books ]