Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

excited about shaders!

This topic is 5579 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

With vertex/pixel shaders being the next big thing is anyone else trying to figure out how to get started with them? I am curious what will be THE TOOL to make shaders with. Right now there is CG and some other programs but with my geforce2 is dose not seem like I can get involved with shaders. I am still not clear about shaders. As far as adding them to a mesh is it ok if I think of shaders like I do textures? I mean will there be a program that is easy to use to create shaders in and let me just plug it into my mesh on the programming end? (generate the CG script for me) If anyone knows the best way to get started with all this let me know.

I''m not yet started with shaders. I now my GL quit well but I thought that DX has some better shader options so I first started with learning DX and then I want to continue with Shaders.

If you''re using DX you could have a look at the sdk from M$.

Also the tutorials on the FP of gamedev and the info on the developer sites of ATI and Nvidia should help to get you started

I have looked at them some but the main problem is getting anything to run with a geforce 2. Is it possible to learn about shaders without a geforce3 or above? I would like to hear from anybody with a geforce2 who is working with shaders.

To start out I was hoping to find a program that helps generate the CG code for you rather than me write it since I don''t seem to understand linear algebra

I am currently using OpenGL as well, but would like to work with pixel shaders on both OGL and DX. Do either or both of these have software implementations that will run on a geforce2(go)? Yes, I know: speed. For debugging purposes only.

Thanks,
n

save here. I have the geforce2 and I do not care if it is 1 frame a second. I would like to be able
to play with pixel shaders now.

I do have a program that uses vertex shaders with my geforce2 I can send to you and you can try to compile

ok but CAN I experiment them?

I loaded up the CG toolkit and some effect seemed blurred out.. I was assuming it was since I had a geforce2

Or should always the pixel shader programs run on geforce2 (yes I know maybe 100x slower )_

You can experiment with them, although it''s possible that some apps might not gracefully fall down to a ref device.

Just to give you some context, I wrote "Real time rendering tricks and techniques" on a GF2Go laptop. I also used a GF3, but I was able to proof the apps on the laptop without any problems.

I thought Pixel Shading was not possible with a gf2, simply because the gf2 is a dx7 card and pixel shaders only work with dx8 cards, ...but opengl...well, I''m so confused about dx and opengl features anyway, so don''t ask me

I''m a proud owner of a gf2 card and I actually downloaded the cg toolkit too. but i didn''t get far. just to the introduction of the cg manual and nvidia''s cool looking effect browser. (damn those refraction demos are sweet) so for me too, is there a an easy way to get started on vertex shaders using delphi???

You can use pixel shaders on GF2 hardware via the GL_NV_register_combiners extension. Granted, you only get two general combiner stages ( instead of 7 on a GF3/4 ), and the NV_register_combiner2 or NV_texture_shader{n} extensions aren''t supported, but it''s enough to get a decent dot3 bumpmapping application running.

Death of one is a tragedy, death of a million is just a statistic.