Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Java versus .Net

This topic is 5591 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Do the world a favor and go out and read some of the thousands of existing flamewars that already exist on this subject. This thread serves no purpose whatsoever.

"PL/I and Ada started out with all the bloat, were very daunting languages, and got bad reputations (deservedly). C++ has shown that if you slowly bloat up a language over a period of years, people don''t seem to mind as much."

James Hague

Guest Anonymous Poster
I would recommend Java over .NET.

Java is established, and has a presence on most platforms. Sure, it has problems, but those problems are well-known and you can work around them. There''s tons of books, websites, newsgroups, etc.

.NET is brand new and not in wide use, so you''re on your own. There are a lot of books out or coming out, but virtually all of them focus on .NET on Windows...that in itself should tell you something. I''m not even sure what platforms have CLRs for them yet.

Why not use C++ with cross-platform libraries like SDL and OpenGL?

Guest Anonymous Poster
quote:
Original post by Arild Fines
Do the world a favor and go out and read some of the thousands of existing flamewars that already exist on this subject. This thread serves no purpose whatsoever.

Yeah, and your post was so helpful too.

I agree completely with his post. Asking a Java vs. .NET question nowadays is like asking a Direct3D vs OpenGL question. It''s a question that''s been answered a thousand times elsewhere, and two minutes work on google would''ve given a much clearer answer than you could get here.

---
John Hattan
The Code Zone
Sweet software for a saturnine world

mikef - the question makes NO sense, especially when ou ask specifically about cross platform.

.NET is not cross platform - its standard does not and will not incldue 3d and other core technology for the foreseeable future. While DirectX access will be given with DirectX 9 (native), this is marked as a MS extension.

Besides this, it will take years till other platform implementations come out.

So for cross platform, the question is answered before being asked - java.

Regards

Thomas Tomiczek
THONA Consulting Ltd.
(Microsoft MVP C#/.NET)

quote:
Original post by mikef
I was wondering what technology is recommended by everyone for cross platform development.

So, why didn''t you ask about any of the other languages with cross-platform capability? Like C, C++, Python, Ruby, Lisp, Perl, and so on and so forth...