Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Questions about Services in windows

This topic is 5585 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi all, What exactly is a Service in Windows?? like how is a service different from a program?? And does a service have to have a database??? I was looking at a Service Control program and it seems to rely on a Database. I guess i''m confused about this because I don''t really understand what Services are used for in Windows. any explanations will be greatly appreciated. thanks. -Phil

A service on Windows is equivalent to daemons on Unix. It''s a process that runs in the background providing continual services to the system and in some cases to other computers on the network (eg http, ftp etc). Services are only available on NT/2K/XP. Not all services are connected to databases, I think that''s just something particular to the example that you''re studying.

The best single quick reference regarding services that I''ve found on the www is Black Viper''s Services Configuration 411. This page doesn''t give you all the details about what services do, but it lists all of the default ones an whether running them is absolutely necessary. In many cases, they aren''t. For example, W2K Pro installs with the ftp/http services on. That''s great if you want to run a server, but it''s not good if you''re unaware of that fact because it exposes the computer to a security risk. I used this list myself, to go through the services on my W2K box and turn off a whole mess of them that I didn''t need. That also improved the performance of my machine as I didn''t have as many background processes hogging resources.

well here''s why I asked about Services...

I want to develop a single player game and it is played on the user''s local system. But I want to find out what is the users score was after he/she played it. So, after someone finishes playing this game it''ll send its score to this background program/service. And the next time that the user goes online, this program/service will ask if he/she would like to send their scores to so and so. And if the user clicks yes, the program/service will send this data over the web. So I was wondering if something like Windows Services would work best for this?? If not, does anyone know what will??

thanks.

-Phil

Well, yes a service could be used to that end, but I think that would be a misuse of a service. A service runs all the time, logins occur infrequently in comparison. What I would do instead, would be to put the transport code into the game itself, ask the question about uploading the info into the game. If the person wants to upload the info, they can do so from within the game. If the user isn''t connected to the net when they opt to upload, let the game fire up the dial up and proceed from there.

Personally, if I got through playing a game and an hour or two later when I dialed in I got a popup box from the game asking me if I wanted to share my high scores from the game on the web, I would be pissed at the game for intruding on my space and would likely uninstall the game shortly thereafter.