Big Problems with Visual C++

Started by
6 comments, last by Tommi Lehtinen 24 years ago
I have three weird problems with Visual C++, I am quite puzzled/annoyed with them: 1. When I install VC++ 6, my Internet Explorer 5 slows down. It takes about 50 percent more time to open pages, and it is much slower whatever I do with it, this problem also affects Outlook Express 5. I tried to install Visual Studio Service Pack 3, it should help but it didn''t! So what should I try next? 2. After installing Visual Studio 6 Service Pack 3, I got this weird bug: When I quit VC++ and return to Windows, everything looks normal. But when I try to open a window (any window, for example explorer), it throws a modem-connection dialog! (The same dialog which appears every time I am connecting to the internet). How could that be? How an earth could it affect that? How I fix it? 3. My VC++ (professional edition) works fine, but almost every time I exit it, I get a following error: "MSDEV - This program has made an illegal operation and will be shut down. Invalid page fault in module KERNEL32.DLL". So the program works, all my .exes work, but this happens on exit.... I tried to install VC++ again, it didn''t help, I''ve also installed Windows again (because of another reason), that didn''t help either. Could there be some prog in my HD which causes it? I don''t have many progs in my HD, just Office 2000, Borland C++ Builder 4, Adobe Acrobat Reader, Netscape, F-Secure and some games. This problem doesn''t affect my work as such, but it is highly annoying. Someone said that this problem exists in Beta version, but mine is not a Beta version.... If anyone can help, THANKS in advance! PS: How do I install VC++ without the MDM ?
Advertisement
It sounds like you have quite an unstable Windows installment running, mostly caused by too many "big" applications, like IE5 and VS6 together. The problem is that most of the time, it doesn''t help to uninstall the software and reinstall it, because the DLL files needed are overwritten by some other program (i.e. The Win98 DLL hell).

I''ve only got two ideas that might help:

1) If you are running Win98, run the installation again, it will hopefully clean up some registry settings and erroneous DLL versions, but you won''t have to re-install all the software, it''ll still be there.

2) Go with the "Deltree Windows" DOS command and re-install everything again. That is a very drastic method, and I know how painful it is to install every little program again, that''s missing files, but in 9 cases of 10, that''ll fix your problems. When you''re done, you should re-install the programs very carefully, always run the computer for a few hours before installing the next big application, to make sure that it''s running fine.

============================
Daniel Netz, Sentinel Design
"I'm not stupid, I'm from Sweden" - Unknown
============================Daniel Netz, Sentinel Design"I'm not stupid, I'm from Sweden" - Unknown
Hi !!

You should really install Windows again, and format C before if possible. That''s a pain, but it''s worth the effort. Before you do that, check out that:

Start your computer in Dos-Mode (Start->Close->Start in MS-DOS, sorry I have a german os, so I don''t know exactely what''s the same in the english os). When the os bootet and you are at the dosprompt type:

scanreg /fix

This scans the registry and removes some entries and fixes errors, perhaps this helps.

If not, then installing Windows again from scratch is the best way. Or, perhaps buy Windows 2000 !!! It''s great, I am running it now for 7 weeks, and it never, NEVER crashed or I had to restart it because of unstable behaviour. And I am programming a lot with it. I would go with Windows 2000.

Phillip
Phillip Schuster
Before you go to such drastic methods as reinstalling Windows, you might want to get a program such as Norton Systemworks. I got that when I was having software troubles, and a lot of the time it will fix the problems. It has a lot of utilities that will help you keep Windows running efficiently.

Good luck!

------------------------------
Jonathan Little
invader@hushmail.com
http://www.crosswinds.net/~uselessknowledge
That''s the first ''nice'' thing I have ever heard mention about a Norton product...usually all I hear is how bad the performance/stability was after it was installed!

"Why am I the only one on the away team with a red shirt!?"

BASSOFeeSH
><>
-- What would Sweetness do?
what about that MDM -problem. When MDM starts on my system it slowly wastes all the resources. How can it be "turned off", so that it wouldn''t start. I''ve been Ctrl-Alt-Dellin'' it off all this time. Annoying.
If you are going to go w/ the reinstalling windows route, then you may want to use :

setup /d

The /d makes it only install windows system files (DLL's and such). This way it doesn't delete or overwrite your registry, and your programs won't need to be reinstalled.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Also, Anonymous Poster, I don't know if you know this but if you go to start->run and type msconfig then go to the startup tab you can get rid of startup programs.

Edited by - Nazrix on 4/6/00 1:32:38 PM
Need help? Well, go FAQ yourself. "Just don't look at the hole." -- Unspoken_Magi
Nazrix said that the MDM can be disabled from MSCONFIG. I disabled it from there, but still every time I run Internet Explorer, it activates! Why? How can I disable it permanently or install VC++ without it ?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement