Local machine IP address with Winsock

Started by
2 comments, last by Yanroy 21 years, 7 months ago
As the subject suggests, I''m trying to figure out the IP of the local machine. I''ve figured out how to get the host name, but I can''t seem to resolve it to an IP without crashing Any way to get just the IP? Thanks. --------------------

You are not a real programmer until you end all your sentences with semicolons; (c) 2000 ROAD Programming
You are unique. Just like everybody else.
"Mechanical engineers design weapons; civil engineers design targets."
"Sensitivity is adjustable, so you can set it to detect elephants and other small creatures." -- Product Description for a vibration sensor

Yanroy@usa.com

--------------------

You are not a real programmer until you end all your sentences with semicolons; (c) 2000 ROAD Programming
"Sensitivity is adjustable, so you can set it to detect elephants and other small creatures." -- Product Description for a vibration sensor

Yanroy@usa.com

Advertisement
try this:

#include <iostream>#include <windows.h>using namespace std;#pragma comment(lib,"ws2_32.lib")void main(){   	WSADATA wsData;	::WSAStartup(MAKEWORD(2,2),&wsData);	char name[512];	::gethostname(name,512);	hostent* phost = ::gethostbyname(name);	sockaddr_in addr;	::memset(&addr,0,sizeof(addr));	::memcpy(&(addr.sin_addr.s_addr),phost->h_addr,4);	char* ip = ::inet_ntoa(addr.sin_addr);	cout << name << ", ip: " << ip << endl;	::WSACleanup();}  
daerid@gmail.com
Thanks for the quick reply. Ok, I tried that and it crashes It is very similar to the code I myself wrote. Did I mention I''m writing this app for Windows Pocket PC 2000/2002? I''m not sure if that''ll make a difference... any other ideas?

--------------------

Yanroy@usa.com

--------------------

Yanroy@usa.com

well, shit. that would have helped The above''ll work for full-blown Windows. I have NO idea how to go about it on a pocketPC
daerid@gmail.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement