Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

first FINISHED model with Blender, need advice &#111n textures to create/apply

This topic is 5573 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have this habit of starting a model and then forgetting about it for a while as soon as I'm inspired to start a different one. Well I finally finished one of my more complex models in Blender and I'm looking for advise on the type of textures I should apply. Textures are either going to make this stand out or kill it so I'm looking for some feedback. Any comments/criticism is appreciated. Here's one angle of it the links go to other angles of the ship.

Angled View (my host doesn't like hot linking) Here's the links:

Bottom view

Top view

Side view

Back view I realize that some of the corners are still a little to sharp but that will be corrected eventually with a Subdivide Smooth. Thoughts??? [edited by - TechnoHydra on August 27, 2002 6:44:50 PM] [edited by - TechnoHydra on August 28, 2002 1:39:26 PM]

Guest Anonymous Poster
I would kill for that model...

But I would say metallic colors - mainly blue, red, and silver for the main body, with a single color for the top dome thing, maybe some horizontal lines on the fins.

and zealous is right - some kind of glow from the cockpit, most likely blue. This also means the area around the cockpit should NOT be blue - probably red. add some black for lines, and certain areas.

cont. below...

Guest Anonymous Poster
missiles, dark gray with some random colored lines... maybe even yellow.

also, i would like to see a glassy, reflective surface - almost polished. this would give a very sleek effect to the ship. you could add a few streaks to it directly behind the fins.

for the engines... i would stick with the general light blue glow used in every major science fiction movie ever. it just goes.

incidentally, i would suggest some bottom view fly-bys if you put this in a game. that is one heck of an intimidating view.

-geo-

Well I don''t really know the polycount on this. Haven''t figured out how to check it in Blender. The original plan was to use this model in either cutscenes or a preview. Since it was going to be rendered in action and perhaps not in the game itself, I didn''t worry about polycount too much.

Thanks for the suggestions all. It looks like I''m going to try for black/yellow or gray/yellow for missles. Then maybe dark gray and red for the body. And a slightly reflective blue cockpit canopy, I was also thinking about breaking up the canopy into glass sections instead of making it one solid chunk of glass. Prolly do this in the texture instead of trying to modify the model itself.

Guest Anonymous Poster
Checking the poly count in Blender is easy. In the top right corner of the main view port you''ll see the Toolbox button (it''s the little ? with a triangle behind it). On that bar to the left you''ll see a bunch of numbers. Ve: is the number of vertices in the current scene and Fa: is the number of faces (i.e. polygons). Nice model btw

Maybe try out something yellowy-brown...something in the sepia gold area with burn marks. I''ve always been particularily fond of that shade for vehicals... I''m not sure how it works in blender, but usually when doing vehicals I''ll make a basic sepia-(with burn marks!) texture, then decal on some white text, such as numbers and such, perhaps decal on a couple of vents. Then I''d stick with a weatherd grey on the missles, perhaps a red line around it near the tip, and ruddy-reddish fins. I might make the wings of the vehical slightly darker then the main fuselage. Just some ideas...

Really cool model, by the way.

Guest Anonymous Poster
quote:
If I get a chance to import it over to 3DSM I want to try the auto optimize feature.

Same AP again. Time for Blender tutorial #2. Blender actually has a built in optimizer. It is called the Decimator and was added starting in version 2.20. Select your object and go into the Edit Buttons (shortcut is F9). You''ll see the Decimator in the center. Just move the slider up and down and your model will change. Adjust it to where it looks good and hit apply.

Yeah I've been thinking about the landing problem too. If it was in space then I'd have it launched like the fighters in Babylon 5. But its made to fight in the atmosphere of a planet so I'm trying to decide how it's going to take off. Now if it was held in a hive-like hanger bay then I could still have it horizontally suspended from its own access port. That's one thought. Or I could have it launch vertically, which I don't like. And then my third option is to make a cradle of some sort for it to land in, and have it take rise vertically and take off. Can't really decide between the first and third options.

P.S. I'd like to thank all of you for your positive feedback on the model. It's really encourageing me to work harder on my other models.

[edited by - TechnoHydra on August 30, 2002 1:50:40 PM]

Guest Anonymous Poster
as a technical thing - the engines are all in the back, making it seem more obvious to be suspended straight up and down, and take of going straight up. of course, you could just have invisible thrusters and take of from a cradle. Also, you could have the landing strip with two large slits and a cradle device at the end.

i would rather see it launched straight up, NASA style.

Unfortunately, I dont have the slightest idea how the fighters get launched in Babylon 5, so I can''t help you much there.

good luck,

-geo-

quote:
Original post by TechnoHydra
Yeah I''ve been thinking about the landing problem too. If it was in space then I''d have it launched like the fighters in Babylon 5. But its made to fight in the atmosphere of a planet so I''m trying to decide how it''s going to take off. Now if it was held in a hive-like hanger bay then I could still have it horizontally suspended from its own access port. That''s one thought. Or I could have it launch vertically, which I don''t like. And then my third option is to make a cradle of some sort for it to land in, and have it take rise vertically and take off. Can''t really decide between the first and third options.

There''s another option: the wings could somehow fold upwards when it lands.

Also, you mentioned exporting to 3dsmax - do you actually have a script for doing this? I''d kill for a blender->3dsmax converter.

Guest Anonymous Poster
Man, what would you guys do without me. Here is a link to one of the many exporter scripts that exist for Blender: http://www.blenderwars.com/downloads.html.

Nice model man. But one thing I noticed other than the landing problem is the 2 miniguns on either side of the ship. They seem to be a little long and they look kinda funny. Maybe shorten them up or add some sort of support to make it look more stable...it looks as if they could break off really easy.

Other than that good model man!