Java taking over?

Started by
85 comments, last by YPhysicist 21 years, 7 months ago
I wanted to be a game programmer once, so I learned many a book about C++, but I took a short break and now I''m back in the game. I just entered college, but all of my comp science courses are telling me that everything''s changing to Java. The standardized test I took last year was on C++, but it said that starting next year it''s all gonna be on Java. Even my friends in higher level comp science courses are saying Java is becoming the standard. What''s going on? Is this affecting game programming as well? (Is C++ game programming going to be replaced with Java? Are there any signs of this now?)
John Licatogamecreationlab.com
Advertisement
java will not replace everything. the biggest problem in java is it''s execution speed which happens to be slow.
They''re wrong. Although java is becomming more powerful, it''s not going to replace everything anytime soon. .Net will take over before just java does.

---
My Site-My Tetris Clone w/Source
Come join us on IRC in #directxdev @ irc.afternet.org
personally, i dont like java at all.. im using it alot at uni and i think its sits a fair way back from c++. but then again thats because ive used c++ for longer and im more accustomed to doing things that way. other opinions may vary, there are some things i like about java, single inheritance and interfaces, for example.. but all in all, i prefer c++ for just about any sort of programming task

Get busy livin'' or get busy dyin''... - Shawshank Redemption
Get busy livin' or get busy dyin'... - Shawshank RedemptionIf a man is talking in the forest, and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong? - UnknownFulcrum
i dont like java and the sun microsystem propaganda machine.
C++ is a regulated standard by ansi. Java seems to change with every version , like 1.5 comming out soon.

java even contradicts itself like saying templates are complex so they wont be in java, but then 1.5 will have general classes which are templates..

personally, i prefer C / C++ since its an established standard on every platform.

Its my duty, to please that booty ! - John Shaft
jwalker - just as a note, Java will not have templates, they willk ahve generics. While you might not get the difference, there is one - basically you can do a lot more with templates, and ist is this a lot more that makes them complex.

Regards

Thomas Tomiczek
THONA Consulting Ltd.
(Microsoft MVP C#/.NET)
RegardsThomas TomiczekTHONA Consulting Ltd.(Microsoft MVP C#/.NET)
I like JAVA!!! but not for makin'' games. But I think its a great programming language to develope tools to make games. The Java swing set provides cool tools to quickly wip up little simple applications.

But Java will never replace C or C++ in game programming!!!

:)
Java is a nice language, and very fast to write with a good IDE like IntelliJ IDEA.

I especially like the way every Java coder has about the same codings standards. It's really easy to use any API found on the net since they're written like you expect, and it makes your code uniform. I wish Java language standard even *enforced* ppl to write with certain naming convention, but the current situation is good enough .

Eg. classes are written MyClass, functions myFunction() etc. C++ has no such standards, unfortunately. I see MyFunction(), my_function(), myFunction and all the other possible combination for every different lil' thing (classes, functions, globals, variables) in C/C++ code, which makes it a bitch to read sometimes.

[edited by - civguy on August 28, 2002 5:46:20 AM]
quote:.Net will take over before just java does.

Big businesses don''t trust anything Microsoft. When there is a lot of sensitive information at hand banks, etc will explore all alternatives before they choose to go with a MS product.

I''d steer clear of .NET for the while until MS can sort out their security issues (which given their track record won''t be anytime soon).

Project: Starfighter
http://www.parallelrealities.co.uk
Parallel RealitiesProject: Starfighter
there is yet a lot of stuff in development with .NET.. since some years btw.. and simply because its microsoft it doesn''t mean its not good..

java is a great language, and i like it very much.. i just have no use for it:D i code c++.. its in fact sort of a crappy language, but somehow you can do everything in it, and thats fun:D

"take a look around" - limp bizkit
www.google.com
If that's not the help you're after then you're going to have to explain the problem better than what you have. - joanusdmentia

My Page davepermen.net | My Music on Bandcamp and on Soundcloud

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement