WM_KEYDOWN in Dialogs

Started by
4 comments, last by Triston 21 years, 7 months ago
I''ve created a WIN32 app with a window in which a menu option calls a dialog box up. Now I want to grab a keypress from the user, (1,2,3,4, or ESCAPE) and I know a simple WM_KEYDOWN search on the message queue is not going to help me. I''ve read through a lot of vague theories, but none of them seem to work. Anyone have any hints I can try? TIA Triston All the world''s a stage...and I seem to fall off quite a bit.
All the world's a stage...and I seem to fall off quite a bit.
Advertisement
I didn't really understand what you want, but I'll answer what I think you're asking, sorry if it's not...

There's a function called TranslateMessage(don't remember params);
that will give you the char pressed, and not the key. To use it, you have to place this function like I did in:

if (PeekMessage(&msg,NULL,0,0,PM_REMOVE))	// Is There A Message Waiting?		{			if (msg.message==WM_QUIT)				// Have We Received A Quit Message?			{				done=TRUE;							// If So done=TRUE			}			else									// If Not, Deal With Window Messages			{				TranslateMessage(&msg);				// Translate The Message				DispatchMessage(&msg);				// Dispatch The Message			}		}   Now, you will have to get the char being pressed, wich you can do with case WM_CHAR:       	case WM_CHAR:	// Has A Key Been Released?		{		char TheKeyPressed;            TheKeyPressed = wParam;                        text[i] = TheKeyPressed;            i++;            if (i == 97){i = 0;}		return 0;								      // Jump Back		}    

in your case, the values returned you are interested are:

1->49
2->50
3->51
4->52
ESCAPE -> 27
(However, I don't understand why WM_KEYDOWN won't work, perhaps I was right when I said I didn't understand your question)

Anyway, hope this helps you!

EDIT: Wait, I think I got what you where asking...
you are saying that the PeekMessage(&msg,NULL,0,0,PM_REMOVE) <> switch (uMsg) thing doesen't work for what you are doing, right?
That's something I have no idea about. Well, Sorry about all this stuff...

[edited by - algumacoisaqualquer on August 28, 2002 12:42:57 PM]
Have you tried handling WM_KEYDOWN in your dialog procedure?
When using the Windows calculator program, always remember to clear any values from memory before exiting to prevent burn-in.
quote:
Have you tried handling WM_KEYDOWN in your dialog procedure?

Algumacoisaqualquer(say that 10 times fast!), I guess it was a bit cryptic about what I was having problems with, but after a few hours of struggle and learning much more about subclassing a control on a dialog. I did find a way to get the kb controls and can map them to WM_KEYDOWN and WM_CHAR.

Funny thing happened on the way to these messages thou...

If I don't have any code in the WM_KEYDOWN case statement I don't get the WM_CHAR message to trigger. Yet I get the KEYDOWN message to fire twice. Any ideas?

LONG CALLBACK ButtonProc(HWND hWnd, UINT uMsg, WPARAM wParam, LPARAM lParam){		switch(uMsg)	{		case WM_CHAR:		{						char upper;            			upper = (char)LOWORD ((LPTSTR)MAKELONG ((WORD)wParam, 0));                     			switch(upper)			{				case '1':					MessageBox(NULL,"User Pressed 1", "Doh", 1);					return 0;				case '2':					MessageBox(NULL,"User Pressed 2", "Doh", 1);					return 0;				default:					MessageBox(NULL,"Something else", "Doh", 1);					return 0;								      // Jump Back		}			}		}				case WM_KEYDOWN:			//If I leave messagebox in I get the WM_CHAR message to fire first			//then the keydown message is also processed, which makes sense, but I 			//only want the WM_CHAR message....			//If I comment this out...I get no WM_CHAR processed at all.			MessageBox(NULL,"WM_KEYDOWN is processed.", "Doh", 1);						break;		default:			return(CallWindowProc((WNDPROC)lpfnOldWndProc, hWnd, uMsg, wParam, lParam));	}		// Call the original window procedure with the unprocessed messages	return(CallWindowProc((WNDPROC)lpfnOldWndProc, hWnd, uMsg, wParam, lParam));}    

The WM_CHAR code works and I get the right message to appear, but only if the messagebox in the WM_KEYDOWN is also active. I thought I could get the WM_CHAR w/o the WM_KEYDOWN message?
(TIA)
-Triston
-Added source this morning as I try to hack my way through it...

[edited by - Triston on August 28, 2002 12:03:52 AM]

[edited by - Triston on August 29, 2002 9:04:24 AM]

[edited by - Triston on August 29, 2002 9:07:06 AM]
From MSDN:
"The information in the high-order word applies only to the most recent WM_KEYDOWN message that precedes the posting of the WM_CHAR message. "

If this is the case how come the WM_CHAR is getting processed first and then the WM_KEYDOWN?
Strange but true...
Or am I missing a key element here?

-Triston

[edited by - Triston on August 29, 2002 9:13:44 AM]
A dialog box procedure should usually return TRUE if the message was handled, or FALSE if not. There are some exceptions noted in the documentation for DialogProc.
Having said that, I am not sure that you should be calling CallWindowProc.
Unfortunately, I don''t think that''s your problem. WM_CHAR messages come from a WM_KEYDOWN message being translated by TranslateMessage(). Apparently, the internal windows dialog procedure is not calling TranslateMessage() when it gets a WM_KEYDOWN message.
Can you make due with only the WM_KEYDOWN messages?
When using the Windows calculator program, always remember to clear any values from memory before exiting to prevent burn-in.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement