Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How can I create a multi-dimensional array with new?

This topic is 5590 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I''m trying to create a two-dimensional array of a struct that im using to represent a system of tiles inside of a class. So I figured I would have a pointer to the struct set up that will be allocated to the width and height of the map when it is loaded from disk. Then I read that in order to allocate a multidimensional array with new it has to look something like this: //a 20x20 array of myStruct myStruct (*s)[20]; s = new myStruct[20][20]; How would you create one if you didn''t know what the 2nd dimension would be before-hand? Or would I have to create it as a single dimensional array and just traverse it like myStruct[ x + y * rowLength ] in order to pull up an x-y coordinate? Anyone else have a similar problem and would like to share some insight? Thanks =)

quote:
Original post by pyroGX
Anyone else have a similar problem and would like to share some insight?

No, nobody''s ever had a C++ multidimensional array problem before. Ever.

Ah thanks, sorry if I asked something that gets answered every day.

Will 'delete [] s;' work on that array or do you have to loop through and call delete [] on each part?

I have it set up similar to this now and was wondering because I havent had too much experience with pointers to pointers.

myStruct ** s;

*s = new myStruct[ x ];
for ( int index = 0; index < x; index++ )
s[ index ] = new myStruct[ y ];

[edited by - pyroGX on August 28, 2002 2:54:47 PM]