How bad is this book?

Started by
25 comments, last by RegaRIP 21 years, 7 months ago
quote:Original post by KingsRevenge
...It seems more of you guys that are mad want something that is gonna be STEP by STEP way to makin your own stupid game engine...

Actually, it''s quite the opposite. If you are looking for a reference book, there are MANY books out there that will much better referenece materials and will have things like *correct* matrices and equations. They also won''t waste your time with things like "Getting fat...", "Getting jiggy...", and they won''t preface material with "As far as I can tell...". Imagine having a professor that began a lecture with "Well, I think..." and proceeeded to write the wrong matrices on the board!

Advertisement
quote:
This is probably as far from the truth as you can get. The details have been discussed here many, many times, so I won''t repeat them. In short, MS says nothing of the sort and it would be extremely difficult to match the efficiency of D3DX. I suppose there might be times when you want something smaller (in size) than D3DX, but MS is not at all trying to dissuade people, at least that''s not what they say when they take the stage at Meltdown, GDC, etc.

As I mentioned earlier, I''m not a game programming guru by any stretch of the imagination, so I''m not going to argue about whether the D3Dx libs are efficient or not, but here is an excerpt from Microsoft''s DX 8.1 SDK documentation for the Xbox:
quote:
Direct3DX provides utility functions that allow rapid prototyping of your game. It has functions to load resources from files, manipulate meshes, use fonts, and do many other useful things. Many functions in Direct3DX can cause performance problems. As a result, use of this library in a retail game is not recommended.

And...

quote:
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
...you can''t take his (or anyone else''s) word as gospel.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No offense, but you illustrated this perfectly!

None taken...I disclaimed earlier that I was a beginning game programmer, and an experienced app programmer. I guess I should have clarified my point by saying, "Even though this guy is a published author on the subject of D3D programming in a game evironment, you can''t take his word as gospel when it comes to D3D programming in a game environment".

What I really mean though is that the book should be taken, imho, as a D3D tutorial, and not as an example of how to write quality code. Use Steve McConnell''s "Code Complete" for that.

-c

Hmm.. strange.. That quote is not in the DX8.1 C++ docs (that I can find). By "DX8.1 SDK for the Xbox", do you mean the XDK? I've never heard it called that.

The following is from Philip Taylor on the DX newsgroup:
quote:
yes, D3DX can be used in a commercial game. the texture loading routines alone get used a lot.

and from Tony Cox on the same newsgroup:
quote:
With the latest version, many of the functions do indeed have some custom
assembly language, including optimizations for SSE and 3DNow! extensions.

If there are particular functions which you believe are performance critical
where D3DX is not performing as well as you'd like, please let us know (mail
directx@microsoft.com).

In general, MS is fairly committed to making D3DX very usable. This is in contract to D3DRM, which was regarded as the "easy but slow" way to go.

ps. I'm not trying to be argumentative. I'm only following up on this because there seems to be some misconceptions about D3DX...

[edited by - CrazedGenius on August 31, 2002 3:12:26 PM]
Author, "Real Time Rendering Tricks and Techniques in DirectX", "Focus on Curves and Surfaces", A third book on advanced lighting and materials
quote:Original post by KingsRevenge
hahah, you guys diss this bok so harshly.
Yup!
quote:This is what "I" have to say about the book, it''s good if your just starting into 3d Game Programming.

I disagree. I think it''s a bad book to get started on since a large number of the techniques have to be unlearned to do anything useful.

Both Programming Role-Playing Games With DirectX (Jim Adams) and Special Effects Game Programming With DirectX (Mason McCuskey) had very good introductions to D3D. Jim''s book in particular is an easy read. He has a relaxed style that has a sense of humour without trying so hard that it''s annoying. Zen''s constant attempts to assure you of it''s coolness was very distracting.

I can''t comment on CG''s intro (in Realtime Rendering Tricks) because it''s still on order (*grumble*), but if his posts here are any indication it will be quite good as well.

And for those who don''t want to write RPG games, Jim''s book is still a great buy. It covers game scripting, which just about every game for every genre uses to some degree. Many non-RPGs have inventory systems. Discussions of 2D and/or 3D engines are applicable to all genres as well.

I would not hesitate at all to recommend Jim''s book to people just starting out in DirectX and game programming.

Mason''s book is a good follow-up since it focuses on techniques without much focus on how to use them in a game, which is actually a good thing. He explains techniques, implements a number of them and gives ideas on how to extend them to do custom effects. His book adds a number of nice tools to your programming toolbox.

CG''s book, I would imagine, is similar to Mason''s in that it''s a graphics techniques book, not a game dev book. The more techniques you understand, the easier it is to come up with your own, so it would still be a valuable resource.

Stay Casual,

Ken
Drunken Hyena
Stay Casual,KenDrunken Hyena
You know what sicne were all taking about books. Lets just make a DirectX book list, label your book levels as Begginer books, Itnermediate Books, and Advacned books and give a rating 1 for bad, 2 for middle and 3 for REALLY good. Something like that could be helpful for peeps lookin for books.

Eric Wright o0Programmer0o

Eric Wright o0Programmer0o
"Zen of Direct3d Game Programming" is the worst book I've every read about computers. I, personally, don't enjoy being told to "just smile and nod, and be glad that it works." I would much rather have some idea what is going on, and I felt that this book did not explain anything. It felt like the author expects the reader to just use his code as is, doing nothing more than copying and pasting it, and even that can be problematic since the CD that came with mine was corrupted. Also, the book is full of horrible typos in code and text alike. Just about every code sample has some error that would prevent it compiling, such as missing semi-colons all over the place.
I contacted prima tech and they had no problem sending me another cd, but it took several weeks, and they sent me the wrong CD. I now have a CD to "OpenGL Game Programming" or something like that, the book to which I do not own. When inserted it auto-runs some license agreement to which you must agree to continue. I closed it and broswed the CD manually so I didnt continue and agree to only use it if I owned the book etc. Some nice demos on the disc. When they emailed me confirming that they had shipped it off I replied that it was the wrong CD but never got anything back from them.
I own several books on Direct3D, and I was doing ok until I got this book. After reading it, I moved to OpenGL and so far I'm enjoying it a lot more. Resources like Nehe and GameTutorials.com are free, and despite that they are of higher quality than "Zen of Direct3d Game Programming."

"The Requested Information Is Unknown Or Classified" -Anonymous

[edited by - Extrarius on September 1, 2002 2:39:19 PM]
"Walk not the trodden path, for it has borne it's burden." -John, Flying Monk
I agree with most of the posts so far. The Zen of Direct 3D Game Programming is pretty crap. However, if you can battle through the dreadful writing style and poor code design, it does serve as a useful introduction. It certainly game me enough to be able to tackle and understand the Microsoft documentation.

I also bought Tricks of the Windows Game Programming Gurus by LaMothe which is almost as bad. LaMothe and Walsh are certainly names to avoid unless you are just starting 3D game programming. I did come away thinking that if these are tricks of game writing ''gurus'' then my hopes of writing a commercial game are pretty good.

The problem with these books is that they attempt to teach you how to program rather than assume that they are writing for accomplished programmers (I would have thought that an intermediate to advanced level of programming is a prerequisite for anyone wishing to write a commercially viable game). I would rather have a well focused book on the key concepts of DirectX rather than a basic programming lesson.

The conclusion I have come to is this: do not waste your money on 3D programming books - I have never read a decent one worth the money (perhaps with the exception of Abrash''s Graphics Programming Black Book, but this is well out of date now).

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement