Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dev c++ vs Vs 6

This topic is 5582 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Just a few basic questions, I hope I dont offend anybody with this. 1. Does Dev C++ support DX 8.1 or is there some sort of plug in I have to download. 2. I am using windows XP, which version of DX should I use? I read a few other threads about this topic but it did''t answer my questions, thanks in advanced. Cheers

Unless DirectX uses something specific to the Microsoft version of C++, then it should compile on most compilers.

||--------------------------||
Black Hole Productions
http://bhp.e-chrono.net/
Resident expert on stuff
max621@barrysworld.com
||--------------------------||

Guest Anonymous Poster
quote:
Original post by bleachblood
Just a few basic questions, I hope I dont offend anybody with this.

1. Does Dev C++ support DX 8.1 or is there some sort of plug in I have to download.

I don''t have Windows, but I''ve seen a "DirectX 8 package" for Dev C++ at http://www.bloodshed.net/dev/packages/index.html. I assume they''re headers and maybe static libraries for mingw.

quote:

2. I am using windows XP, which version of DX should I use?

No idea. I guess the newer, the better, so I''d go for 8.1 .

Hope this helps.

quote:
Original post by max621
Unless DirectX uses something specific to the Microsoft version of C++, then it should compile on most compilers.

It has nothing to do with C++ compliance in this case. C++ lacks a binary standard for libraries and executables, and the DX SDK only contains import libraries in the VC++ format.

"PL/I and Ada started out with all the bloat, were very daunting languages, and got bad reputations (deservedly). C++ has shown that if you slowly bloat up a language over a period of years, people don''t seem to mind as much."

James Hague

In Dev-C++ is a tool to download packages (a popup from within the ide). I just cheched and DX8 is availble (don''t know if it is 8.1). So you don''t have to use the vc++ import libraries form de dx sdk, if someone has put some effort into creating mingw libraries. Also the latest version of Dev-C++ has an msvc import function to convert vc++ projects to dev project. It is usually a bit more involved to get things running in dev-c++, but it''s hardly ever that it can''t be done.....