Dev c++ vs Vs 6

Started by
7 comments, last by bleachblood 21 years, 7 months ago
Just a few basic questions, I hope I dont offend anybody with this. 1. Does Dev C++ support DX 8.1 or is there some sort of plug in I have to download. 2. I am using windows XP, which version of DX should I use? I read a few other threads about this topic but it did''t answer my questions, thanks in advanced. Cheers
The only time the world beats a path on my door, I happen to be in the bathroom.
Advertisement
Well I use MSVC++ 6 and DirecX 8 SDK and on WindowsXP and they work just fine.

DirectX 8.1 is included with XP, so it's better to work with this version...

[edited by - HiddenInBSP on August 28, 2002 6:07:56 PM]
Unless DirectX uses something specific to the Microsoft version of C++, then it should compile on most compilers.

||--------------------------||
Black Hole Productions
http://bhp.e-chrono.net/
Resident expert on stuff
max621@barrysworld.com
||--------------------------||
||--------------------------||Black Hole Productionshttp://bhp.nydus.netResident expert on stuffmax621@barrysworld.com||--------------------------||
quote:Original post by bleachblood
Just a few basic questions, I hope I dont offend anybody with this.

1. Does Dev C++ support DX 8.1 or is there some sort of plug in I have to download.

I don''t have Windows, but I''ve seen a "DirectX 8 package" for Dev C++ at http://www.bloodshed.net/dev/packages/index.html. I assume they''re headers and maybe static libraries for mingw.

quote:
2. I am using windows XP, which version of DX should I use?

No idea. I guess the newer, the better, so I''d go for 8.1 .

Hope this helps.
Thanks everybody.

Cheers.
The only time the world beats a path on my door, I happen to be in the bathroom.
quote:Original post by max621
Unless DirectX uses something specific to the Microsoft version of C++, then it should compile on most compilers.

It has nothing to do with C++ compliance in this case. C++ lacks a binary standard for libraries and executables, and the DX SDK only contains import libraries in the VC++ format.

"PL/I and Ada started out with all the bloat, were very daunting languages, and got bad reputations (deservedly). C++ has shown that if you slowly bloat up a language over a period of years, people don''t seem to mind as much."

James Hague
--AnkhSVN - A Visual Studio .NET Addin for the Subversion version control system.[Project site] [IRC channel] [Blog]
In Dev-C++ is a tool to download packages (a popup from within the ide). I just cheched and DX8 is availble (don''t know if it is 8.1). So you don''t have to use the vc++ import libraries form de dx sdk, if someone has put some effort into creating mingw libraries. Also the latest version of Dev-C++ has an msvc import function to convert vc++ projects to dev project. It is usually a bit more involved to get things running in dev-c++, but it''s hardly ever that it can''t be done.....
quote:Original post by smilydon
It is usually a bit more involved to get things running in dev-c++, but it''s hardly ever that it can''t be done.....

Extremely well said...

|.dev-c++.|.the gimp.|.seti@home.|.try2hack.|.torn.|

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement