Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

C# and DX.

This topic is 5585 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

No. You will have to wait for DirectX 9 - official line is that this is the suggested way, and my experience is imilar.

No idea on the books - I strongly suggest you learn a better language, though :-)

Regards

Thomas Tomiczek
THONA Consulting Ltd.
(Microsoft MVP C#/.NET)

It''s possible to use c# with DirectX 7 and 8, and not a big problem at all. I''m contemplating writing an article about it (see my recent post in the articles forum) but I''m not sure if it''s worth it with DX9 being released in a few months.

- JQ
Full Speed Games. Coming soon.

Managed DirectX is coming in DirectX 9. It''s currently undergoing some big changes (making it less like C++ and more like other .NET libraries), but I see even more change to come in future versions of DirectX. And the MDX team are claiming that performance will be nearly that of native code (less than 5% difference).

- Simon Wilson

Well, may I assume that you are using the interop generated from the COM objects actually planned to be used from VB?

In this case - have fun with the performance. No, thats not sarcastic - you will have a lot of fun. Well, maybe ionly if you are masichistic. They stink - they are SLOW. Try pushing 150.000 tris per frame through them and you will see.

Regards

Thomas Tomiczek
THONA Consulting Ltd.
(Microsoft MVP C#/.NET)

Guest Anonymous Poster
Google C# and DirectX. The second site is a tutorial.

Mixing C# and C++ is super easy anyway.

Worst case, you make an assembly containing some managed C++ classes that encapsulate the DirectX interfaces. Easy as 3.1415926535897932384626433832795

I''m hip because I say "M$" instead of "MS".