Do Monsters Have Souls

Started by
13 comments, last by Trilus 21 years, 7 months ago
i think it''s only reasonable that some fairly abstract personality traits eg agression should be mixed according to the same rules as size or stamina.

weights (genetic dominance) should be assigned to each allele to bias what gets mixed. i LIKE not knowing wether to get a tank with a tail or a banana-loving heavy beast which wants to climb trees. It would be even better if traits heavily influenced survival (does the rhino-monkey die in miserable starvation or take a running charge and knock it over in anger, or go looking for another food instead of half-killing itself?)

it would be intresting if pockets of monsters went down slightly different evolutionary paths.

ive just had an idea for a game! Civilisation-esque or Dungeon Keeper-ist but you work on several "tribes" at once and have to keep them from warring, mixing in dangerous combinations. the aim is to advance as far as possible without imploding (which will always happen inevetably because the mutants would tear themselves or each other apart). it''s a sandbox and has the right qualities (open ended, accomodates flexible playing styles)

comments?

A Problem Worthy of Attack
Proves It''s Worth by Fighting Back
spraff.net: don't laugh, I'm still just starting...
Advertisement
Like the ideas but OI get ur own thread for urs!
Theos who can not see but see everything can see a the truth.
I may have missed something, but I don't understand why it would matter whether the monsters have souls. Cloning works (or breeding, or genetic engineering, or whatever the hell you're talking about) whether we understand its spiritual implications or not. Tendencies towards certain mental states are inherited in real life, but environment plays a massive role in determining a person's mental makeup; most of us are FAR from being mental clones of our parents. Perhaps I'm just reading part of your post wrong, but unless you are actually physically splitting slime-like creatures in half, I don't see how the prescence or abscence of souls would affect gameplay. Even if you WERE splitting slimes in half, chances are that it wouldn't matter whether they had souls or not, in terms of heredity.

By the way, if you actually want people to talk to you productively about your ideas, you should know that telling them to find their own thread is just asking for a flame-war. You should be pleased, not upset, that your ideas engendered flashes of creativity in someone else. You should be further pleased that they chose to acknowledge it, rather than starting a new thread about it and claiming that the idea was entirely original.

P.S. A small piece of friendly advice: People will take you more seriously if you watch your grammar and spelling. And since UR would be pronounced "you are", you would be ill-advised to use it as a contraction for "your" as well as "you're".

P.P.S. In my opinion, clones have similar mental characteristics compared to their genetic brothers/sisters, but a soul drawn from the same place as everyone else's, and in the same way.

[edited by - DuranStrife on September 7, 2002 1:23:06 PM]
thanks for backing me up! id like to think we have enough sense to not start flaming over such a trivial thing. it''s not as if we worked hard to get our territory here. that idea was just something that rang true in this context so it made sense to just post-fix it.

back to the subject: there''s no arguing that some mental things propagate through the generations (in my family, everyone gets other people''s childrens names mixed up. it''s a time-honoured tradition) but if you''re dealing with medium-to-large numbers of agents, it makes more sense to have them adopt an environment-based personality.

in a real civilisation, the movement of the whole shapes the perspective of the members. for example, ever since it was deemed "politically incorrect" (spit) to be anti-homosexual, the numbers of gay and bisexual people has exploded.

if, on the other hand, agents occasionally meet and breed in small numbers, inherited personalities would probably perform better.

if you take a step back from eny metaphysical argument, the solution depends entirely on the player''s expectations: that agressive civilisations continue to be agressive, or that sweet-mannered children have sweet-mannered parents. the method to present should be the one that is most effective.

A Problem Worthy of Attack
Proves It''s Worth by Fighting Back
spraff.net: don't laugh, I'm still just starting...
quote:Original post by DuranStrife
By the way, if you actually want people to talk to you productively about your ideas, you should know that telling them to find their own thread is just asking for a flame-war. You should be pleased, not upset, that your ideas engendered flashes of creativity in someone else. You should be further pleased that they chose to acknowledge it, rather than starting a new thread about it and claiming that the idea was entirely original.

P.S. A small piece of friendly advice: People will take you more seriously if you watch your grammar and spelling. And since UR would be pronounced "you are", you would be ill-advised to use it as a contraction for "your" as well as "you're".
[edited by - DuranStrife on September 7, 2002 1:23:06 PM]

1st off its part of my persona that i go into kill anything that moves mode [just life made me that way] so please dont take offence

and 2nd i play online games a lot and UR U PLZ and all things like it are inherent of that type of game and are adopted by all mmorpg players i that ive ever met so "what are u gonna do"-Quote Homer Simpson

also in case u missed it the 1st time the souls bit was a joke [it seemed funney when i wrote it]

[edited by - Trilus on September 7, 2002 4:16:52 PM]
Theos who can not see but see everything can see a the truth.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement