Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Book advice

This topic is 5591 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Alright I will be getting 1 new computer book and I would like to get some advice on what book I should get. Here is where I am at. I know C good, I am confident anyway, I got some very good reference book from school and it covers most of the lang but really advanced data types like link lists. I am starting to learn c++ on my own, I have teach yourself c++ in 21 days third edition, I understand OOP concepts from taking java in my course, so I just need to learn the syntax and of course link lists and other advanced topics. I dont have the math skills ''yet'' to even bother with 3d programming so I am only interested in doing 2d stuff, I am working with sdl atm. Now I am wondering what route I should go. Should I get advanced/reference c++ book or get a book on game dev, one that covers, "how" to make a game? If you think I should go with the game book then I would like a book that covers topics in detail not just a basic 2 pages of how something works, for example, AI I want to know how to implement it in a game, not just what is AI is with 2 pages of text, end of topic on AI.! I want to see a lot more detail, good example code is a major plus, I dont do very well with just theory, practical helps me understand what they are talking about. The book doesnt have to have a complete (half assed alpha rate game) I would like the book to show how a game should be layout out, in what order should I do things, also some algorithms on physics and code to go with it. I think you know what I am looking for, I dont care if the book is based on DX because I can either use sdl or dx it will help me in the long run anyway. In the game book this is what I am really looking for -How to layout a game loop the proper way -AI -physics with math algorithm provided -maybe how to make an Isometric game engine -dx is fine, the smaller the intro the more info for other topics. -maybe some good info on how to make tools, map edit and unit edit -topic on scripting so nothing is hard coded and how to implement it, how scripting can be used in a game(implementing it in other words). -GUI and design and how to manipulate windows some basic idea is fine, so I get an understanding of it. -doesnt have to have mplayer topics, and I really dont want it to talk about how to design a level or how to design a game, I can get this info from another source. -also the book explains most/all of these topics very well, so I can understand how it works, and not have to memorize code. If you know of such a book let me know please, I know I wont be able to get all of these topics in one book but, this is just so you have an idea what I am looking for. I am new to the game dev world, but I can learn very fast if something is explained to me well. The only problems that I have is my math, current the highest is algabra 1 and that was coming on a 1 1/2 ago of it being used. Also implementing ideas, getting better with experience though. Also I would rather the book be covered in C++ but C is fine. And if I should go with the C++ route what book is one of those that is the one you would rather sleep with at night then your wife/gf ? Thnx for the help Dalik