Which RPG style do you prefer?

Started by
29 comments, last by coriolis666 21 years, 7 months ago
Turn-base or Real Time?
Advertisement
Turn-base. By the way, this should be in the Game Design forum.
REAL TIME!! I so miss the damn fun fight in Secret of Mana

/MindWipe
"To some its a six-pack, to me it's a support group."
I like both depending on the game. They are both fun depending on how they were used.

---
My Site-My Tetris Clone w/Source
Come join us on IRC in #directxdev @ irc.afternet.org
All i have to say is...

Legend of Zelda series = best rpg games of all time.

final fantasy = good medicine for insomnia

just my 2 cents.

"Poor is the pupil that does not surpass the master"
Since when Zelda is a RPG.....
It''s just a shoot''em up with some poor dialogues in it.

(*waiting for flames* lol)
Darkhaven Beta-test stage coming soon.
quote:Original post by Cahaan
Since when Zelda is a RPG.....
It's just a shoot'em up with some poor dialogues in it.

(*waiting for flames* lol)

(*accepting the challenge* hehe)

A RPG is a ROLE-playing game. In Zelda, you are playing the role of Link. I know that this definition could be used on basically all games, but in this game, the story changes and roles are introduced, a story emerges, etc. It does not have poor dialogue what-so-ever, and it is nearly in no way a shooter, the games is based on puzzle-solving and fighting, action-style. These games are AWESOME action-rpg games.

(*realizes his flame sucked...shrugs* Ehh.)

BTW, I prefer turn-based...but real-time can be cool if done correctly.

[edited by - heza64 on August 28, 2002 9:45:25 PM]
::Thinks to himself: console, console, console...:: -Heza
Zelda: Save the princess.

Mario: Save the princess.

Both games you assume the role of character. A story emerges. Is Mario an RPG? No. Is Zelda? No. Zelda was an adventure game, with dialogue.
So what is a role playing game, if it isn''t you playing a character, who is on an adventure?

An adventure game (to me) is something like Monkey Island, where you have a lot more puzzles

Mario is just an arcade game.

-AfroFire
AfroFire | Brin"The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education."-Albert Einstein
Shadowrun for the Genesis - my favorite RPG of all time. It was action based. LufiaII - The best role playing story I've experienced. I don't want to mention that I actually cried at the end of it. lol .. But it was turn based. Of course the battles were not as interesting as the story.

It does seem as though turn based RPG's have better stories. Anyone else notice that?

By the way, I consider role playing as story + character upgrading. It's just the way it's been. I consider Zelda to barely be an RPG, with little upgrading.. Though now that I think about it, Zelda had little of either. I guess it's text dialogs are enough to show that it's at least trying to be an RPG.

"1 and 1 is 1 11" - tool

[edited by - Jiia on August 28, 2002 8:30:58 PM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement