Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Which RPG style do you prefer?

This topic is 5583 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

quote:
Original post by Cahaan
Since when Zelda is a RPG.....
It's just a shoot'em up with some poor dialogues in it.

(*waiting for flames* lol)

(*accepting the challenge* hehe)

A RPG is a ROLE-playing game. In Zelda, you are playing the role of Link. I know that this definition could be used on basically all games, but in this game, the story changes and roles are introduced, a story emerges, etc. It does not have poor dialogue what-so-ever, and it is nearly in no way a shooter, the games is based on puzzle-solving and fighting, action-style. These games are AWESOME action-rpg games.

(*realizes his flame sucked...shrugs* Ehh.)

BTW, I prefer turn-based...but real-time can be cool if done correctly.

[edited by - heza64 on August 28, 2002 9:45:25 PM]

Zelda: Save the princess.

Mario: Save the princess.

Both games you assume the role of character. A story emerges. Is Mario an RPG? No. Is Zelda? No. Zelda was an adventure game, with dialogue.

So what is a role playing game, if it isn''t you playing a character, who is on an adventure?

An adventure game (to me) is something like Monkey Island, where you have a lot more puzzles

Mario is just an arcade game.

-AfroFire

Shadowrun for the Genesis - my favorite RPG of all time. It was action based. LufiaII - The best role playing story I've experienced. I don't want to mention that I actually cried at the end of it. lol .. But it was turn based. Of course the battles were not as interesting as the story.

It does seem as though turn based RPG's have better stories. Anyone else notice that?

By the way, I consider role playing as story + character upgrading. It's just the way it's been. I consider Zelda to barely be an RPG, with little upgrading.. Though now that I think about it, Zelda had little of either. I guess it's text dialogs are enough to show that it's at least trying to be an RPG.

"1 and 1 is 1 11" - tool

[edited by - Jiia on August 28, 2002 8:30:58 PM]

The human brain has the need to classify everything. Actually it makes it easier to compare games between each other. The problem is that Zelda doesn''t have any link (hehe) with games like Ultima or Morrowind which are also qualified as "RPG".

[opinion]A CRPG would be a game with a deep background, several stats, skills, playable and customisable characters (not predefined ones) which may evolve in different ways during the game.[/opinion]

That''s the way the first CRPG were (mainly from SSI with the AD&D license), so I think console gamers preferably shouldn''t use the term "RPG" to qualify games like FF or Zelda, which are not bad games (some people will say they are pretty good and I won''t say it''s false), but are still very different.

Real time / Psuedo Real time ALL the way! I hate turn based, it''s just plain boring to be that disconnected from everything. Big reason I HATED Chrono Cross'' battle system and loved Star Ocean''s and Tales of Destiny''s.

To be honest, though, I prefer ones that kind of come in between, just ''cause most truely realtime battle systems tend to be too shallow. Only one or two types of attacks, plus spells. My all time favorite battle systems in RPGs are Grandia''s and Panzer Dragoon Saga''s.

-Arek the Absolute

In my opinion, RPG is a broad class. I further divide the RPG class into CRPGs, Console RPGs, and Action RPGs. CRPGs (That being prety much any computer RPG not ported from another system) tend to be deeper than it''s sister classes (Think Morrowind.) Console RPGs (FF, Lufia, Chrono Trigger) typically have a different focus (Short entertaining stories) than CRPGs. Action RPGs (Seiken Densetsu series, Zelda) are the furthest thing from CRPGs that can still be classified as a RPG (I do not agree with anyone who says that these are RPGs.) Unfortuantly, Action and Console RPGs do not translate well to computers (Why did they even release FFVII for PC?)

My favorite of each class would be Morrowind for CRPG, FFV for Console RPG, and Seiken Densetsu 3 for Action RPG. Oh and by the way, ZELDA SUCKS!

Just my 2 1/2 shineys.

Depends on the battle system. I'd like to see an RPG with a cool battle system like Heroes of Might and Magic III. But the menu based ones found in so many games like Final Fantasy 6 aren't too cool to me. Fallout 1/2 had the best turn-based system I've seen in an RPG.

Real-time RPGs are cool when they're done well. Nox had the best battle system of all RPGs ever made if you ask me. But Legend of Mana was... wow... lame. (LEGEND of Mana NOT SECRET of Mana)

-- Ivyn --

[edited by - Ivyn on August 28, 2002 9:14:03 PM]

[edited by - Ivyn on August 28, 2002 9:14:36 PM]

quote:
But Legend of Mana was... wow... lame. (LEGEND of Mana NOT SECRET of Mana)

Totally agree with you there. And as for the real time/turn based thing, it really depends on what type of RPG you''re making I guess. Is it a single character you control? If so, then real time works great. However, I personally hate having to control a bunch of characters in real time combat. It just seems like a lot of micromanaging to me. (Btw, I would NOT consider Fallout 1/2 to be more than one person simply because you didn''t control them. I think there should be more party npcs like this that follow you around, kill stuff level up, etc., but have their own scripts and you can''t control them).

Pausable real time, like Baldur''s Gates. Real time combat speeds things up and can add to strategy, but I like being able to pause to issue commands, since it gets kind of nuts with six characters and 20 or so enemies.(Baldur''s Gate 2, best RPG ever)

For me, it would depend on the game. Personally, I would prefer real-time, because it seems more realistic. If your going to fight someone; your not going to say "Okay, you hit me, then i''ll take my turn". This doesn''t mean that I would not play a game that has turn-based battles, I''m a big fan of the FF series. Real time just adds a sense of more realism.

Those aren''t bugs...they''re added features :-|

Turn-based is what I like.By the way an "rpg" is actually a game you play with pens, paper, dice, a couple friends and an imagination.I''m not sure how to classify video game rpgs.

yours truly,
evil sausage

evil sausage: Agreed. An RPG is a tabletop game not a video game. All "CRPG, Console RPG, and Action RPG" are just action games, generally in a fantasy setting. A story with stats does NOT make an RPG.

Generally, turn based combat is a lot more interesting for computer games. I'm tired of the recent set of action games where you select your weapon, click once, and watch until all the enemies are dead. Turn-based combat is usually a lot more involved than that, so it gets my vote, but if you could make interesting real-time combat (I liked melee in Summoner for the ps2), that would be nice.

"The Requested Information Is Unknown Or Classified" -Anonymous

[edited by - Extrarius on September 1, 2002 4:01:45 PM]

Quite frankly I think turn base games are boring on console. Pressing on a button and watching animation tends to get tedious when you go deeper into a game. For some reason turn base seem better suited for handhelds.....(Golden Sun, Pokemon, Breath of Fire)

"A programmer being told to ''''go to'''' hell sees the ''''go to'''' part of the sentence as the bad part."