• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Heimdall99

In need of a good book for C++...

This topic is 6798 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi everyone! Just have a question on what is the best book to get after "Tec yourself C++ in 24 hours"? I went through that one, but it did not provide enough material. I am looking for a textbook-style book that covers graphics, more IO, file management, etc. I looked at some books but they are either too basic, or too complex. Assume that I am comfortable with anything from "24 hours" but know nothing more. -Thank you.

Advertisement
The C++ programming language by Bjarne Stroustrup, you should be able to pull it off

Also, no C++ books will cover graphics since there is no native support for graphics in C++. You''ll need to pick up an API specific book for that (eg. Windows/DirectX).

"Paranoia is the belief in a hidden order behind the visible." - Anonymous

Currently, I''m reading Stanley Lippman''s ''C++ Primer, third edition'', and I''m very pleased with it. Although it''s a primer, it does go into the more advanced topics, and it uses the final C++ standard. The STL is covered as well.

File I/O is covered with the C++ iostream library, but is text I/O oriented. Graphics, file management etc. is not really part of the C++ language, so you''ll need other resources for that.

Erik

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!