Looking for value that differ from computer to another for a copy protection

Started by
6 comments, last by Gilzu 21 years, 7 months ago
simple. i wanna do an authorization code type of copy protection. 1. user activate key - generator that create one according to the computer. 2. i give him the authorization code which is some interpulation of the code 3. game see if the computer match the authorization code. now, the one thing that is missing is how to create the key. i thought of taking the hard drive serial or smthing like that, smting that wont change alot. problem is, i dont know any C++/Win32api command that reads the hard drive serial, its size or anything like that. any suggestions? video card serial? smting? Gil
[email=gil@gilzu.com]Gil Zussman[/email]Check out Goose Chase, Coming this fall!http://www.gilzu.com
Advertisement
Ignoring my opinions on copy protection...

Most times I''ve seen copy protection along the idea you''re thinking, they look for an ethernet card. Every ethernet device has a unique id#.

I don''t have a clue how to get that from Win32.

---- --- -- -
Blue programmer needs food badly. Blue programmer is about to die!
i know my idea is not original, thats why i''m asking
how winXP do it.

prob is that i''m planning to write a game for ppl with
home computers, 80% dont have ethernet card...

any other suggestions?
[email=gil@gilzu.com]Gil Zussman[/email]Check out Goose Chase, Coming this fall!http://www.gilzu.com
You could generate a GUID which is in part based off of the network card''s device id (although a network card is not required). Check out CoCreateGuid.
quote:Original post by Gilzu
simple.
i wanna do an authorization code type of copy protection.

1. user activate key - generator that create one according
to the computer.
2. i give him the authorization code which is some interpulation
of the code
3. game see if the computer match the authorization code.

now, the one thing that is missing is how to create the key.
i thought of taking the hard drive serial or smthing like that,
smting that wont change alot.

problem is, i dont know any C++/Win32api command that reads
the hard drive serial, its size or anything like that.

any suggestions?
video card serial? smting?

Gil

The most common way of identifying against a piece of hardware is actually to get the processor ID #. That''s how most big software I''ve seen( which don''t require a dungle key ) do it.

"DaHjajmajQa''jajHeghmeH!"

Cyberdrek
danielc@iquebec.com
Founder
Laval Linux

/(bb|[^b]{2})/ that is the Question -- ThinkGeek.com
Hash Bang Slash bin Slash Bash -- #!/bin/bash
[Cyberdrek | ]
Yeah, the CPU should have a unique id or serial number of some kind. That network card thing is called a MAC address - look it up on Google or MSDN - you can probably access it through WinSock or the Win32 API. Problem is, that limits you to comps with network cards in them.
Also you could make good use of the volume number of the hdd.
This is something that really everybody has.

Suggestion: Ask the user for his name and use the name inside the key-generation-algorithm so that both the hardware of the user and the user''s name (or at least parts of it) are bound to your copy-protection-key ...

Yours,

Indeterminatus

--si tacuisses, philosophus mansisses--
Indeterminatus--si tacuisses, philosophus mansisses--
nice tuch.
processor ID #, is good, HD ID/serial is also good,
but how do i get them?
i cant find the right command! (VC++)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement