Golf Game Ideas

Started by
6 comments, last by Dreddnafious Maelstrom 21 years, 7 months ago
Ok, after 6 months of living in my basement my 3d engine is ready to be put to the test. While a Doom-Style 3d online fragfest is still out of the question, a nice, leisurely game of golf is very do-able. I have done a bunch of clones (tetris, galaga, pacman) and am ready to an original now. The problem is after all the Vector math and dot-product equations my creativety seems to be on vacation. I have a few ideas i know i want to implement i could definitely use some more. So PLEASE feel free to brainstorm or just toss any silly idea out. To give you an idea of some of the wall things i will do: Fatalities : After winning a game of Stroke play i will have hidden button combos that will result in various fatality scenes acted out. circa Mortal Combat. Editor: Full editor allows you to construct your own courses etc.. Players : Players can be selected from a group of Local Pro''s or you can construct your own character and "take him up levels" via your success on the course. (kind of RPG style) Players can specialize in a particular swing. (putting, driving, chipping, sand wedge, etc...) "oh look man this is MY shot." Items: Special items can be won as a reward for setting course records. "Hey look, i just won this Driver +3 of green finding!!" Anyway, you guys get the point, im trying to make a very different sort of game so any ideas are good ones. Dreddnafious Maelstrom "If i saw farther, it was because I stood on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton
"Let Us Now Try Liberty"-- Frederick Bastiat
Advertisement
Hmm...

Animals come and steal the balls or move them.

The holes could shift position so you have to time your putt. Or maybe they move slowly and never stop?

Mine fields?

Huge creatures block your path unless you hit them in a certain place with the ball.

Booby trap the other person''s ball? (Limited charges, of course)

The guy on the riding mower decides to come after you.

Simulated gravity play on the inside surface of a sphere.
It's not what you're taught, it's what you learn.
Wow, good ones, i like the gravity sphere idea, implementation should be pretty tricky. The explosive ball idea is also cool, i just won''t let it affect gameplay. (kind of like a sike out tool)
I do have a moon course slated for production. (low gravity, not alot of scenery, but watch out for that trap on hole # 5!!)

Thanks
Why don''t you just have a mini golf course or chip-and-put courses that have lots of cool obsticals. This way you could keep your ideas original while still enjoying a game of "mini-golf". I know it''s not like the real thing but you could have some more fun with gadjets and stuff that way. Just an idea.

---
My Site-My Tetris Clone w/Source
Come join us on IRC in #directxdev @ irc.afternet.org
Already have it, thanks though, maybe i should flesh it out a bit more.

If you''ve ever played any of the tiger series by EA sports, i''ll have those functions (except for the weak assed speed golf stuff)

In addition:

mini-golf, putting only with obstacles and scenery.
chipping challenge, closest to the hole wins.
network tournaments with client/server config
far out courses: the moon, mars, the ocean floor, and newly added the center of the earth ala: Simulated gravity play on the inside surface of a sphere.

Skins, Stroke Play, 1 Player Tournament Mode, Wolf.
Nail the golf guy, (this is where you try to smack the ball cart on the driving range)

Ballistic Golf, Large, moving targets that you must destroy with your golf ball o'' death.

I also like the idea of land mines, maybe an extreme DeathMatch course where the Rough is well, really rough.

Keep ''em comin, so far i know just how to implement most of these!!

Dreddnafious Maelstrom

"If i saw farther, it was because I stood on the shoulders of giants."

Sir Isaac Newton
How about planet golf? You play on various planets and moons in the solar system. The course is the whole solar system, so you do one hole on Earth then the next on Mars, etc... This gives you different landscapes and gravities. Plus you could throw in some martians.

---
Make it work.
Make it fast.

"I’m happy to share what I can, because I’m in it for the love of programming. The Ferraris are just gravy, honest!" --John Carmack: Forward to Graphics Programming Black Book
"None of us learn in a vacuum; we all stand on the shoulders of giants such as Wirth and Knuth and thousands of others. Lend your shoulders to building the future!" - Michael Abrash[JavaGaming.org][The Java Tutorial][Slick][LWJGL][LWJGL Tutorials for NeHe][LWJGL Wiki][jMonkey Engine]
putt with a small hockey stick - umm yeah

pool style putt - use grip end to hit the ball like playing pool

happy gilmore swing - extra distance with loss of all control (20% chance of going straight)

"the foot wedge" - unhappy with your lie? give it a little kick and hope no one is watching!

Ummmm..... NO. hehehehe. Foot wedges should only be used in real golf.

Dreddnafious Maelstrom

"If i saw farther, it was because I stood on the shoulders of giants."

Sir Isaac Newton

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement