Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Transformed or Un-Transformed?

This topic is 5590 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello Everyone, As a newbie Direct3D "programmer", I am finding it very hard to visualize what my triangle is going to look like when i render un-transformed vertex''s. Is there some easier way of making sure that your polygons are going to look correct when you render them? or do you have to keep changing the values and rendering? Some advice would be extremely helpful. Thanks, - Fuzztrek. ¬_¬

yeah, pretty much. can you show me some basic vertex arrays or something? how do you usually define your values? i just don't know how to compare things.. like, if i make a triangle here, how do i make a square over here? and when your creating a few hundred polygons, how do you make sure that their too scale?

¬_¬

[edited by - fuzztrek on August 28, 2002 10:42:27 PM]

No, not really. Maybe we dont deal with funy geometry.

Frankly, most of us dont create the graphcis to be "on the right position on screen" - we create 3d scenes and then let them render.

When applying a good scale (like 1.0 is 1 meter), then with a piece of paper (most geometry is pretty 2d in it''s orientation) you get a good grasp. Sizes are - well, "natural" (sure the door is 2 meters heigh, or?) and the result is - well - the result. Comes out handy.

Maybe your error is thinking in terms of "2d screen space". When you need this (for lets say a cockpit), then use transformed coordinates.

Regards

Thomas Tomiczek
THONA Consulting Ltd.
(Microsoft MVP C#/.NET)

Oh, and as a final note - we normally dont exactly make complex geometry "in the program", but load it from an external file. This, though, is created with editors - they help you a lot. And it is done by artists who often are shitty coders (at best).

Regards

Thomas Tomiczek
THONA Consulting Ltd.
(Microsoft MVP C#/.NET)

What problem? Your problem is not clear, and based on what I understand about your question, you answered it yourself in the thread title.

Are you asking how to render a polygon directly with screen coordinates? If so, the answer is transformed vertices.

Else, sorry I can''t see your point.

oh.. so then you do need to create your own scale. so then, you''d be workign in the thousandth''s most of the time? maybe i should just skip ahead to loading models?!

¬_¬

It really depends on what you are doing as to the scale. Some games use 1 unit as 1 metre, or 1 unit as 1 centimetre. AFAIK Quake3 uses very large scale coordinates (several thousand units across for a small level). There is no real rule of thumb. Just ensure your models and maps are based on the same scale (whatever that may be) and you should be fine.

Neil

WHATCHA GONNA DO WHEN THE LARGEST ARMS IN THE WORLD RUN WILD ON YOU?!?!