Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

asm: Problem with register

This topic is 5583 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, i want to get the return value from a function out of register ST0, a floating point value. from Game Programming Gems, i have copied this code:

__declspec (naked) DWORD GetST0(void)
{
	DWORD	f;

__asm
	{
		fstp	dword ptr [f]
		mov		eax, dword ptr [f]
		ret
	}
}

unfortunately, the code does not work! i always get zero as the return result if i call Call_cdecl(&myArgs, numArgs, (DWORD)MyFunction); float myFloat = (float)GetST0(); what is wrong here? i have absolutely no concept of assembly language, so i can´t figure this out. Would be very nice if someone could help me on this problem! Thanks Gammastrahler P.S. by the way why are i´m not able to declare the function header of GetST0() in a header file?? this is very bad since more source files need access on it. i get the error: "naked" only allowed for function definitions (code C2488). [edited by - Gammastrahler on August 29, 2002 3:28:00 AM]

quote:
Original post by Gammastrahler
Hi, i want to get the return value from a function out of register ST0, a floating point value.

As far as I can remember, STO is not a register but a command.

quote:

P.S. by the way why are i´m not able to declare the function header of GetST0() in a header file?? this is very bad since more source files need access on it. i get the error: "naked" only allowed for function definitions (code C2488).

[edited by - Gammastrahler on August 29, 2002 3:28:00 AM]

You are able too, just don''t put specify that it''s naked in the declaration. As for your error, I never tried using inline ASM in a project. I usually use an external assembler.

"DaHjajmajQa''jajHeghmeH!"

Cyberdrek
danielc@iquebec.com
Founder
Laval Linux

/(bb|[^b]{2})/ that is the Question -- ThinkGeek.com
Hash Bang Slash bin Slash Bash -- #!/bin/bash

Firstly - what the hell are you trying to do!?!?

Secondly, here is a solution to your problem....

#include <iostream>

inline void setST0( float value )
{
__asm fld value
}

inline float getST0(void)
{
float f;
__asm
{
fstp f
}

return f;

}

int main( void )
{

setST0( 1.555f );

std::cout << getST0( ) << std::endl; // should print 1.555

getchar( );

return 0;

}

I think the problem with your version is that you are declaring it as a naked function which according to the VC++ help:

quote:

To ensure that no initialization code for local variables appears before the prolog sequence, initialized local variables are not permitted at function scope. In particular, the declaration of C++ objects is not permitted at function scope. There may, however, be initialized data in a nested scope.

In your code you have a variable declared there which i'm guessing never gets intialised.

The other problem that I can see is that you are trying to return the value in eax, which as far as I can remember is the wrong way of returning a floating point value.

[edit]

And to answer you other question about the header file thing:
when you declare it in the header file, just do:

extern float getST0( void );

and don't put in the "__declspec( naked )" bit..

i think that is what is causing your error

[edited by - Jx on August 29, 2002 9:07:19 AM]

@Jx:

thanks, it works fine with your code!

The code i used before was directly copied from the Book "Game Programming Gems". Therefore i was wondering that it didn´t work.

I use these calling of procedures for my scripting engine, it´s just more convenient than having something like

typedef int (*MyProc) (param1, param2,.... paramN);

thanks
Gammastrahler

I''ve just had a look in my copy of Game Programming Gems, and sure enough - the code there is exactly the same as Gammastrahler posted.

I do think that this is a bug with the code from the book so beware.