Non-NT/2000/XP C# compiler?

Started by
3 comments, last by sebk 21 years, 7 months ago
(I''m kinda new to the forums, fyi) A while ago I asked, on a name that I forgot (and who''s password I certainly forgot, on an email of mine which went under...) about VC++. I was wondering, as the title implies, if anyone knows of a non NT/2000/XP C# compiler *for windows*. I have an embaressing version of windows (Not 3.0 or anything, but sucky nonetheless), and since I''ve been hearing talk of DX soon supporting C# on 9, I''ve been more interested in its less-hybrid aproach. (I''m sure someone else has asked, but no search has turned up anything . . . So sorry if you''ve heard this before.)
Advertisement
The only non MS C# compiler I''m aware of is the one being built as part of the Mono project. My assumption is the target platform is Linux not NT - but perhaps they will port it too. Google on "mono" and "simian" and "Isacaza" (sp?) or head over to slashdot and search there as they post articles about "Mono" once a month or thereabouts.
"I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes." - the Laughing Man
It is quite possible to install the .NET Framework on at least Win98 and ME - you just need to fool the installer. There''s a guide to doing it here: http://www.omlettesoft.com/dotnet.php3

"PL/I and Ada started out with all the bloat, were very daunting languages, and got bad reputations (deservedly). C++ has shown that if you slowly bloat up a language over a period of years, people don''t seem to mind as much."

James Hague
--AnkhSVN - A Visual Studio .NET Addin for the Subversion version control system.[Project site] [IRC channel] [Blog]
quote:Original post by LessBread
My assumption is the target platform is Linux not NT

No, they are targeting Windows as well. But it wont run on 9x yet, mainly due to some problems with Unicode(9x doesnt support Unicode natively like NT does).
quote:
"simian"

Ximian
quote:
"Isacaza" (sp?)

Miguel de Icaza.
--AnkhSVN - A Visual Studio .NET Addin for the Subversion version control system.[Project site] [IRC channel] [Blog]
Thank you both . . . Although I know about Mono, I don''t have linux anymore (The partition for it strangely dissapeared when installing ME . . . Or just GRUB) and so it''s of no use to me.

I got it to work anyhow. Thanks.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement