Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New Game - In Progress

This topic is 5572 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

ok. well hi ppl. I''ve been working on a game for a few months now and a bit of work has been done. Menu art, fmv sequences, audio n stuff and the characters n buildings are underway too. but i don''t have a clue how i should go about programming the game. can any of u guys help? what programs should i use? which would be the best language to use? bearing in mind it would be completed for late 2004.

Visual C++ 6 ?! Bit expensive for a ''first game'', isn''t it? (Well, as long as you don''t download a warez version...)
I''d propose Dev-C++, for it is free, quite easy to use, uses gcc...
www.bloodshed.net

And, well, yes, read the "start here" stuff on gamedev.

Or if you don''t want to learn c++. You can use these game developement packages.

http://www.3drad.com
http://www.darkbasic.com
http://www.blitzbasic.com

You still have to learn a language specific to each package but there pretty easy and you can learn them easily even if you have no programming experiance.

Since you don''t have any programming experience whatsoever my advice to you is to completely forget about making this game for at least a few months, start reading a programming book (I recommend you learn C++), make a few small games, and then after that you MIGHT be ready to make this game.

Your project sounds incredibly backwards. You have all the art, movies, and sound done, now you just need to learn how to program. Haha, that makes me giggle

"With my feet upon the ground I lose myself between the sounds and open wide to suck it in, I feel it move across my skin. I''m reaching up and reaching out. I''m reaching for the random or what ever will bewilder me, what ever will bewilder me. And following our will and wind we may just go where no one''s been. We''ll ride the spiral to the end and may just go where no one''s been." - Maynard James Keenan
[TheBlackJester ]
[Wildfire Studios ]

you won''t laugh when i''m worth millions. nah everything is kool. is just how in the hell do i make it stick together. and am i right in thinking that c++ is gonna take me at least a year to learn. also can u reccomend any books? also i am a fast learner so i dunno. would anyone like to work on this with me?

quote:
Original post by Puzzler183
I learned C++ in 5 days. If it will tkae your a year, then you are a very slow learner. Anyway, try http://www.cplusplus.com/ and http://www.cprogramming.com/.

5 days??? LOL..that is funny. It will take you at least a year to get a solid understanding of C or C++.

Considering the amount of work you have done, you could easily find a programmer to work with to make this game. And if learning programming is something you desire in itself (not just completing a game), you could learn it while you are completing this game, because chances are your programming skills will not be at the level of all your other skills anytime soon.

[edited by - atcdevil on September 2, 2002 11:41:32 AM]

quote:
Original post by bravescharm
5 days??? LOL..that is funny. It will take you at least a year to get a solid understanding of C or C++.

I don't think so. Maybe it would take you that long but hey some people learn differently than others. Also, I had an ASM background before moving to C++ so I had no trouble with a lot of things that someone new to programming would.

[edited by - Puzzler183 on September 2, 2002 1:01:10 PM]

Well, I''m still learning c++ and have several books on it. The one that I like best, it gives a good understanding of alot of material, is ''Begining Visual C++ 6''. Granted it has some areas that are specific to Visual C++ but it covers basic c++, windows programming, mfc, and some other stuff. And unlike some other books i have on programming (i.e. the parts of game prog. books aimed to teach c++) the code, etc doesn''t seem to have any errors. Also for game programming ''Tricks of the Windows Game Programming Gurus'' is pretty good (except for being kinda outdated) and comes with Visual C++.

I learned C++ in almost over a month but I had a solid understanding of several programming languages beforehand. Also I took an intensive class for C++ with various class projects. Remember creating actual programs with C++ is great practice.

3 seconds!

And here it is in C++:

void main() {}

Tada! Actually, it would take more time concidering buying a compiler and compiling it. It really depends on the definition of program. If you even call that a program.
If you want to get a nice functional program up and running, you''ll need training to learn the language. Get books. Usually the first chapter will teach you how to write "Hello world" on the screen and explain what''s happening. That will be your first program.
The book I have teaches you the basics of C++ in 21 days. You can get a good look at the language, but you won''t be able to master it. It takes practice and more training from better books or classes, or even other methods of teaching.
Next, you''ll need to know how games work, and how to work with multimedia. This step will probably take longer. You still need practice here.
After all of that, you should be able to get working on your game. Concidering the time spent studying, and practicing, you should be able to get a game engine started in about 3-4 months (This is only if you go at a steady pace, a chapter a day, nonstop with a full understanding. Unlikely though.). Somebody may say that is a terrible estimate, but this is just from my experience.

And if you''re looking for books, try these:

Teach Yourself C++ in 21 Days
(Good for beginners)

Accelerated C++
(Haven''t read it, but I heard it''s good)

C++: The Complete Reference
(More than you cared to know about C++, reads like a reference guide)

Tricks of the Windows Game Programming Gurus: Second Edition
(Highly reccomended for anyone new to game programming)

---
Help points: 2 (Eh... I have to start somewhere)

As like Puzzler said, You should just go to www.cprogramming.com and learn C++ their. I learned it in about 7 days(The Basics that is). Once you learn C++ you'll need to learn DirectX(no one has told him that he needs to learn this)or you can learn OpenGL...I think DirectX is the best, but you might think different. For a good online tutorial for DirectX go to http://www.andypike.com/Tutorials/ Once you have learned DirectX then you can start your programming. So, You can go buy a $70 book to learn C++ and a $50 book to learn DirectX, or go to the pages I said up above.

[edited by - Crankyduck on September 3, 2002 12:30:30 AM]

quote:
Original post by Puzzler183
I learned C++ in 5 days. If it will tkae your a year, then you are a very slow learner. Anyway, try http://www.cplusplus.com/ and http://www.cprogramming.com/.

The more you know, the more you know what you don´t know.

Yea, but he is talking about the basics....of course he isn''t talking about everything about C++. By a year of using C++, on a usual basis, you should know almost everything...at least I did.