Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What book do u recommend

This topic is 5587 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, i am a beginner in direct 3d i bought a book: the Zen of direct3d and read it all, it gave me a good introduction after reading the directX SDK documentation from microsoft, but the book has many drawbacks, it teach bad habbits, ugly code, and errors, after it i bought Tricks of the windows game programming gurus to learn about AI, Physics, game making .. i thinked about: Programming Role-Playing Games with DirectX or Beginning direct3d game programming or so. can you recommend me a book?

can''t go wrong with Dempsky''s "Tricks and tips ...somethn'' ...DirectX 8" - even tho like 1/3 of the book is for beginner it has advanced stuff too. Not the perfectly written book but very good nevertheless.

check book section of the site

Programming Role-Playing Games with DirectX

Its great, and its written by the moderator of this very forum. Contains an absolute tonnage of info useful to game developers

I went to buy that book last night at Barnes & Nobels and it wasn''t there

I guess I have to order it online, which I was trying to avoid cause my credit cards are killing me lately.

As you said you''re self the Zen book do have some strange and ugly code, but it does explain a great deal

The RPG book isn''t great either, he talks alot about RPG stuff like mana points and I guess that is things that should be in a RPG book but if you want to learn DirectX this shouldn''t be the only book you get.
1. The animated models works in a strange speed, open them in the mesh viewer and you''ll see (found in the DX SDK)...there for he has slowen everything down.
2. ALL books (except his) talks about DON''T lock the frame rate. He has everything looked at 30fps.
Though both point 1 and 2 easily can be solved, it''s just strange to me why he does it like that. (it''s just that you have to figure these things out for your self, he don''t talk about it very much)
anyway he does have some ok stuff too. he has some basic collision detection, viewing frustum.
I just hope his new book about animation won''t be like this.

quote:
Original post by AlbertoT
does "Programming Role-Playing Games with DirectX" explain .x file ?

Yep, it talks you through them, has functions for loading and parsing them, and has examples of them being used throughout the book.

quote:
Original post by SubUrban
he talks alot about RPG stuff like mana points and I guess that is things that should be in a RPG book but if you want to learn DirectX this shouldn''t be the only book you get.

I agree that it has RPG stuff (obviously) but it can be applied to other things, e.g. Mana points = Calculating points, storing them, printing them to screen, having them attached to characters and events, etc. All this can be used for any other things. I''m using the 3D in 2D section to help create a 3D adventure demo a la Grim Fandango.
I am as surprised as you about the frame limit though.

The frame limits can be removed - those were in place to make it easier to work with at the time. All animation and movements are time based, so you can just remove the code that limits the FPS.

Jim Adams

The frame counter was used to fix a problem with a particular video card using the books NodeTree engine.
For more info visit the books helpful errata page here.

[edited by - pan narrans on August 30, 2002 4:54:13 AM]