Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Would you play this?

This topic is 5577 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi I've been working on a game for a few weeks now, I've nearly finished the terrain engine and I've started working on the multiplayer code. OK, so here's the idea for the game The game is played in a large area of terrain with hills and water. The players control tanks which can go anywhere (except in water) in the playing area. The other players will be both AI controlled and human controlled. So far, that's it. There will be various weapons and vehicles, eventually. There's a work in progress demo here . The other players are just red blocks at the moment (hey I'm no artist!) What I'd like is for people to kindly try the demo and let me know if you think it could be a game you'd enjoy playing. I'm hoping it will be a server based multiplayer game but would probably start out as single player. Also any other suggestions as at the moment I have no real game design!! Thanks [edited by - bluecat on August 29, 2002 11:07:35 AM]

Not a bad start, but you need a lot more then that. For example, can the tanks attack each other? Do you control the tanks in a 3rd person mode or 1st person mode? Are there ways to build more tanks? Will there be anything else? Such as towns, etc?

The terrain engine definitely is a good start. I downloaded the demo and it looks very nice.

Basically you need something that will get the player hooked. Unless it''s a hardcore tank simulation, just moving around tanks and attacking other tanks will get boring. You need to add in ways for the player to get a sense of accomplishment.

- Andy Oxfeld

Nice work so far. Runs quite slow on my machine though around 3.5 frames per sec. You should make a detailed plan or outline of what you''d like the game to do, and then work on implementing those features until they are finished, then if you want to add more, do the same thing again.

Discharge

Looks lovely! Although the water shows through in a couple of places it shouldn''t, and if you go off the edge of the world you can see under it, but I''m sure these are on your to do list.

I liked the loading screen telling me what was going on, and it took about 15 secs on my Athlon 1900, 640MB. The game ran well (between 30-40 secs at default settings), but it may need some optimization to make it playable by the majority. Now you just need to put a game in it!

PS It crashed once out of the three times I tried it. Something about an access violation

But otherwise, good stuff:

Excellent start, the graphics look good. Try keeping the frame rate at a steady pace, on my 766Mhz computer I got as low as 3.5fps and as high as 130fps.

Hey it''s very good :-)
If I were you I would go for a RPG (well perhaps because I just love RPG lol)

But you could do something like Battlezone, (a 3D RTS where you can command units AND be in the action at the same time).

Hmmm... for once i tried something that someone has done, and what do i get for that? Access violation!!! Hehe...

First you try to read from 0x000000... and when i try to quit the app, you write to 0x00000D. Insanity i say!

Try to fix it and put up some screenshots (maybe there is nothing yet to show?) and maybe i will try it again...

- Good luck -

With regards to gameplay:

Personally I''d go for a fun game, rather than a realistic tank sim (thats already been done by people who probably have more resources than you ).

Plenty of power ups and special modes (giant tanks, "shoot the green chicken" mode, capture the flag, etc) will make it playable for ages.

I remember a brilliant game I played years ago on the 3DO (its only good game as I recall, it was my mates machine not mine!) called something like Return Fire. It was addictive as hell. If I remember rightly it was a top-down capture the flag type thingy with plenty of obstacles and different vehicles you had to use in different situations. Maybe something like that would be fun, but in 3D. It even had a two player mode. Oh dear, I is gettin nostalgic...

Excellent work so far!

What I would recommend to make the game playable is a targetting stabilizer that keeps your turret facing at an angle to the horizon. Or something that keeps the player from being totally dependent on the terrain to have proper aim.

It would be annoying to charge someone and get disrupted by the bumps as you are trying to fire. People WILL be moving to evade and charge, and it will be important to be able to maintain a fairly stable aim at those times without making it too easy.

[edited by - Waverider on August 29, 2002 11:44:17 AM]

quote:
Original post by Peter Svensson
Try to fix it and put up some screenshots (maybe there is nothing yet to show?) and maybe i will try it again...

There are four screenshots in the zip, and they are quite luvverly.

Yay! Great response, thanks guys!

Sorry to anyone who had problems running it, if you can tell me more about your system, especially video card details I''ll try to find the problem.

Thanks for the ideas, I wasn''t planning on a RTS but it''s worth thinking about.

quote:

Plenty of power ups and special modes (giant tanks, "shoot the green chicken" mode, capture the flag, etc) will make it playable for ages.

Hehehe, green chicken, love it

Seems that the answer to my question is ''Yes!'', but a lot more work to do yet.

"Access violation at address 00000000. Read of address FFFFFFFF."
i get that at startup and the only way to close it is to endtask

Im running a Celeron 300 with Win 98 and 48 MBRAM

Well it''s worth a try.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
The weather is cool, and there are grey clouds covering the sky. Or at least I wish the weather was like that.

the connection with the server was reset!
ill try again later, is your web service ok?

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
The weather is cool, and there are grey clouds covering the sky. Or at least I wish the weather was like that.

wow... seems very good for a start... impressive terrain, but the water could be a bit more smooth and not as jagged as it reaches the terrain... very nice, keep me posted about new additions to it as i would like to see it when its finished... i agree about the fun factor, not just making it a hardcore tank sim, but somthing fun. More vehicles would be cool, but hey, i know it takes a lot to make something like that and i am very impressed.. What kind of modeling program do you plan to use? i have some skills with 3dsmax and might be able to contribute..

hey is that you Ian?
you think you can hide and change your name but your download url remains the same

Thought I recongised it....

as for game design sounds remarkly like the Lofi one jusy use that design doc I will not sue.

Later monkey

[edited by - themonkster on August 30, 2002 3:38:37 PM]

Hey,

I''m getting the same read of address error. I''m running a GeForce 2 mx400 on a duron 1.2ghz

Not sure why its messing up.

"With my feet upon the ground I lose myself between the sounds and open wide to suck it in, I feel it move across my skin. I''m reaching up and reaching out. I''m reaching for the random or what ever will bewilder me, what ever will bewilder me. And following our will and wind we may just go where no one''s been. We''ll ride the spiral to the end and may just go where no one''s been." - Maynard James Keenan
[TheBlackJester ]
[Wildfire Studios ]

sounds alot like Scorched Earth. Ive always wanted to play a non-2d version of that game.
Maybe you wouldnt mind sending me a copy of your terrain engine source code? Just to see how its done.... Me being a newbie and all.

I get around 90 FPS. Does it use hardware T&L? That would explain the wide gap in framerates.

I see a few vague similarities to my game (link to demo site in my signature). Maybe we could chat some time about our games, and help each other or share stuff.

The control scheme needs to be a bit easier. I had a heck of a time controlling my vehicle.

Very nice looking terrain (although an occasional jagged edge).

Value of good ideas: 10 cents per dozen.
Implementation of the good ideas: Priceless.

Proxima Rebellion - A 3D action sim with a hint of strategy

Guest Anonymous Poster
Test results:

0.4FPS with default detail
On visibility 200 0.5FPS

I have:
Ati rage 128 xpert 2000 32MB
PC: 300MHz 192MB ram

PS! I tought it crashed in the beginning as it did nothing
at start (long time) - even no redraw.

On obvious reasons i can not comment the game ...