Would you play this?

Started by
38 comments, last by BlueCat 21 years, 7 months ago
LoL nice sig
Advertisement
I tried your new version on a p3 333mhz with 320 pc-133 sdram and a agp ati rage pro video card (16mbs?) and it wouldn''t run, it gave me the memory access violation dialog box. But from those screenshots ou put up, it looks great...
Once again sorry to anyone who downloaded the demo and got the evil access violation. I think I''ve traced the bug now - I use the multitexture extension to put a cloud shadow effect on the ground. Everywhere in the code where I use the extension I was checking that it''s available.... except in one place

I think the access violation happens when I try to call functions that aren''t supported, that would explain why memory is being accessed at address 00000000!

I''ve fixed the *ahem* bug, and updated the file so anyone who wants to take the risk (again) please feel free to try it

Thanks

Don''t ask me, I''m just the code monkey
______________________________DGDev - The Delphi Games Development Community
Nice, I got steady 40fps (maybe 80 when nothing much in view) on my Duron750, 128Mb, GF2MX WinME machine.
I''m doing something very similar (check my page, should be a demo there - could you return the favor ), can I ask a couple things about your project...
How do you get the ground to shade so smoothly? I can blend textures but you seem to have another colour input gradually shifting the base colour.
How big is your map in terms of vertices?
Are you using a skybox/sphere?
How do you work out which bit of the cloud to use with which vertex - does it take into account the direction of the light or just look straight up?

Thanks for the info. I''ve been debating whether to add the cloud effect to mine, now I see how pretty it is I think I have to!

Email me if you don''t want to clutter your thread.

Read about my game, project #1
NEW (13th August): A new screenshot is up, plus diaries for week #3

John 3:16
just to warn you there is a game wich seem similar to the description of our tank games so I would make sure you have some features it doesn''t. the site is www.wulfram.com
Thanks AP, I'll consider myself warned

quote:Original post by d000hg
I'm doing something very similar (check my page, should be a demo there - could you return the favor )

I get about 20fps +/- 2fps pretty much everywhere, looking good, are you using a quadtree/octree/frustum culling?

quote: can I ask a couple things about your project...

How do you get the ground to shade so smoothly? I can blend textures but you seem to have another colour input gradually shifting the base colour.

I'm using OpenGL so I don't know if I can help, but briefly..

I use glColorMaterial to enable colors for each vertex and then an array the same size as the vertex array to store colours (based on height)

quote:How big is your map in terms of vertices?

The demo uses 500x500 but there's a constant in the source you can change to any size, always square though. I'm running it at 2000x2000 on my machine

quote: Are you using a skybox/sphere?

No, not yet, I'm using fog and it looks a bit weird when you put a skybox behind it, I'll probably just put in a BIG textured quad in the sky to match the cloud shadows

quote: How do you work out which bit of the cloud to use with which vertex - does it take into account the direction of the light or just look straight up?

There's nothing clever about it really, just a texture stretched over the terrain and then moved, nice effect for very little effort. Try replacing clouds.jpg with your own choice of texture and you'll see what I mean!

Good luck with your game, do you have a game design yet? Let me know how it goes

Don't ask me, I'm just the code monkey

[edited by - bluecat on September 4, 2002 6:20:39 AM]
Thanks for the test and info, what''s your system? Yes I''m using a quadtree, each node has a bounding box which is tested against the camera frustum. I''m going to implement LOD soon.
Do you pre-generate all the vertices of your map (I assume it''s similar to D3D''s vertex buffers?) or do you generate them from the heightmap etc each frame - I do this which reduces map size by about 6X but is a big speed hit.
Are you actually using the same ground texture and just varying the colours with the height then - it looks very good if you are!

Read about my game, project #1
NEW (13th August): A new screenshot is up, plus diaries for week #3

John 3:16
Yup, just one texture (two if you count the cloud shadows), I'm not happy with it though, looks ok when you're low but when you get up a hill the tiling looks terrible

The terrain shadows are done using vertex colours too, just darken the colour for shadows. I suppose using this method, I don't even need OpenGL's lighting but haven't got round to it yet

I'm using a cross between a quadtree and an octree (a quoctree? maybe not ), it was an octree until I started using triangle strips, strips of terrain were going out the top of one cube (node) and into the bottom of another so I had to put the terrain in the octree in 2D to make the triangle strips continuous if you see what I mean. Using the octree for other objects though and for culling

Vertex arrays are AFAIK very similar to DX vertex buffers and yes they are precalculated, I put them in display lists too which gives me about 30% increase in performance on my system although I've read it shouldn't

Oh yeah, BTW

Duron 1200
512mb PC133
Geforce 2mx 32mb
Win2K Pro

Don't ask me, I'm just the code monkey

[edited by - bluecat on September 7, 2002 9:08:05 AM]
New version 1.9 ready to download now
Added sky texture
Tank models
Better terrain colouring
Transparent water
Lock camera on nearest player
About 5% increase in FPS (on my system)

Should work for cards without multitexturing support too

Don't ask me, I'm just the

[edited by - bluecat on September 9, 2002 9:57:18 AM]
Very nice bluecat. Actually I too will be doing something like your terrain engine as soon as I finish what I am working on right now, however I dont really plan on using it for anything he, just want to try it out and see how good a landscape I can do with a heigh-based-texture-blended terrain engine :-)

FYI on my PC (P4 1.8A@2.0,512MB DDR2700,Gefor4 Ti4200 128MB, using debug DX8.1) the FPS is 50-110, averaging at 80ish.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement