Which Programming Language

Started by
7 comments, last by Dave UK 24 years ago
Okay then, I''m a complete novice to game programming so can somebody help me choose a programming language to start with. THANX!
Advertisement
click on the "New? Start Here" link on GameDev''s main page..
C++ then

do I need a 3D graphics program like 3ds for making 3d games or can I make the object in with code?
oh yeah, and whats the advantages/disadvantages of visual c++ ratther than normal c++. obviously visual c++ is OO
You''re going to have a hard time creating anything interesting making objects in code. You''ll need to be able to load in models, but there are plenty of free ones out there.

However, if you don''t even know how to program yet, you''re getting WAY ahead of yourself.

Dave
quote:Original post by Dave UK

oh yeah, and whats the advantages/disadvantages of visual c++ ratther than normal c++. obviously visual c++ is OO

Okay, go and actually read the articles in the Start Here page. How is Visual C++ obviously OO, but C++ is not?

Visual C++ is just the name of the IDE/compiler. The language is still C++.
You might want to consider learning to program a small game before you take on something like building any type of 3D game... it would be comparable to a novice carpenter trying to build a skyscraper before he knows how to build a house... something like that. You can learn by taking on a huge project, but it will be MUCH easier and you will progress MUCH faster if you start really small... I''m thinking tic-tac-toe or something.
Yeah I know guys I''ve learnt a lot since my first post (thanks to you) I know now that visual c++ is just a compiler, and I have done 3d programming in visual basic, besides I''m just planning for the future.
I have read most of the new user thing on gamedev.net, and I''m glad to hear that theres loads of free 3d model downloads!

Thankyou! (I''m gonna choose c++)
i always thought they called it MS Visual C++ because unlike everything else microsoft, i could actually see (and understand) the code.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement