Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HTTP 1.1 Commands/Dir listing possible?

This topic is 5590 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello, I was wondering if there was a way to get a directory listing using an HTTP command. I've seen all the usual commands such as GET and PUT, etc.. But haven't found one to list the files in a specific directory. Does this exist? I'm just wondering because sometimes in IE you'll go to a site and it will just popup the dir listing for where you were trying to browse, is this just a server side response if the page doesn't exist or did the browser request it? Thanks eh, ao [edited by - Agent Orange on August 29, 2002 12:53:23 PM]

The act of directory listing is performed by the web server if it is configured to do so. The list is returned as a simple html page and your browser doesn''t know the difference. There is no mechanism in the HTTP protocall to get a directory listing.

WebDAV might have some functionality to do this, though.

"PL/I and Ada started out with all the bloat, were very daunting languages, and got bad reputations (deservedly). C++ has shown that if you slowly bloat up a language over a period of years, people don''t seem to mind as much."

James Hague

Thanks for the replies, I think I''ve got my answer, it just won''t work.

WebDAV, hmmm. It may or may not have support for that, but I know for sure it the HTTP server would have to comply with WebDAV protocols and I have no control over the HTTP servers I will be trying to get dir lists from.

Thanks.

Getting a directory listing could be considered a security risk.

Most mirroring software would just download the index.html and follow all the links to get the rest of the site.

If I had my way, I''d have all of you shot!

codeka.com - Just click it.