SHM damping for water surface

Started by
2 comments, last by OrangyTang 21 years, 7 months ago
I''m doing 2d water from a side view (yeah i''m a dimension behind most people it seems ) and using basically a series of points occilating up and down with simple harmonic motion. But i don''t have my math books with the SHM equations in so i''m trying to remember it as best i can. Which is ok, i''ve got acceleration inversely proportional to displacement and updating the speed and displacement accordingly. But! I can''t figure out the best way to do realistic damping on the movement. I''m looking to include a damping factor but doing it well eludes me Any ideas? (and if anyones got any hints to improving the whole water effect then comments appreciated as well ) _@/
Advertisement
Nobody any ideas? You people suck

On a slightly related note, anyone any ideas on how a single point disturbance can be made to spread outwards and ripple the whole surface?

_@/
Damping (usually the result of a frictional force) is simply any force that causes the oscilator to lose energy. Usually, the damping force is proportional to the velocity. In viscous fluids, expiriments show the damping force to be proportional to velocity squared.

Really, that is all there is to it. Just add a force to each of your points, oppisite the current direction of motion with magnitude proportional to the current velocity of that point (or v**2). Expiriment to make it look good.

quote:On a slightly related note, anyone any ideas on how a single point disturbance can be made to spread outwards and ripple the whole surface?

I have never tried this before, but I think with your system of points, maybe you could loop over all the points. If any point is higher than its neighbor, then move the higher one down and the lower one up. This result should then propagate out. It might be a bit tricky to setup, though.
Perhaps this can help?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement