Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

problems with DirectPlay and winXP ?

This topic is 5583 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

hi all, does anybody know why every Direct Play sample of the SDK and every program based on DirectPlay allways crash when calling Host() ( i think it is this function that makes the program crash) ? I''ve the DirectX 8 SDK installed and WindowsXP, and this problem occurs on every computer that run with winXP :''( i can''t run any DirectPlay Client/server program anymore, even those of the Multiplayer Game Programming book :''( I''ve seen in a previous post that somebody allready had this problem, with WindowsXP. Thanks !! ( forgive about my english plz, i''m french )

I''ve been developing a multiplayer game using DirectPlay8 on WinXP for the past 8 months... I can''t remember having any problems from the start. But... it used to crash my Win98 machine - until I installed some modem drivers. Maybe thats your problem?

- thx bazee but it don''t think the problem comes from modem drivers ( ''cuz there isn''t any modem on my computer, it''s a shared internet connection ), everything runs well with my network config, I can program even with WinSock ... but DPlay doesn''t want to :''(

i really don''t know, it worked on my Win98 machine but it really crashes only on WinXP, it''s weird, i can''t do anything with DirectPlay, even running the samples,

DPNERR_INVALIDDEVICEADDRESS(0x80158320) ....
every DirectPlay program returns this error when calling the server''s Host() function.

Does anybody ever had a problem like this one ?

yes yes, TCP/IP is installed, my local IP adress is 192.168.0.84 if it is usefull

this problem is really weird.

-> LostLogic :
I can''t run your demos anymore Todd :''(
( when does your next book will be released ? it seems to be very interesting )